Dark circles make you look exhausted, weary, unhealthy and older. Common causes include – aging, heredity, a dry skin, excessive crying, stress, spending too much time before the computer, insufficient sleep and an unhealthy diet.
You may perceive shadows and smudges under your eyes in the morning or after a long day; doctors describe under eye circles as uniform, round areas of dark pigmentation which manifest under both of your eyes. Conversely, you can get rid of the unsightly shadows under the eyes using easy home remedies.
What Causes Dark Circles Under Your Eyes?
- Fatigue is a chief cause for dark circles under the eyes.
- Stress is another important causative factor for dark, undesirable circles below the eyes. Emotional turmoil and incessant crying make you tired and drained and produce ugly dark shadows below the eyes.
- Inadequate sleep causes fluids to buildup around the eyes, puffing them up; this casts dark shadows under your eyes.
- Consuming an unhealthy diet; especially one which is deficient in iron and vitamin B complex could trigger dark shadows underneath the eyes.
Home Remedies To Remove Dark Circles Under The Eyes
Here are some natural remedies for dark circles under the eyes:
- Almond oil: It is decidedly beneficial for the delicate skin around the eyes. It is loaded with vitamin E and its regular usage will help reduce the dark circles under the eyes. Massage gently around the eyes and leave overnight.
- Cucumbers: They have astringent and skin-lightening property which helps soothe and refresh tired eyes and make them look brighter. Cut a fresh cucumber into slices and chill them. Put them over the eyes for about half an hour daily. You could also mix cucumber juice with lime juice and gently apply to close eyes. Leave for 10 minutes and then rinse off
- Potato: It proffers you a natural bleaching agent which helps lighten dark circles and get rid of puffiness around the eyes as well. Grate a raw potato and place over the eyes for half an hour.
- Tomatoes: They have skin lightening and brightening properties as well. Blend together tomato juice with lime juice. Massage around your eyes and leave on for 10 minutes. Rinse it off.
- Lemon juice: It is the most potent skin bleaching agent; the best part is it is perfectly natural and will not harm your skin. Also, it is packed with vitamin C; and consequently, lemon juice helps get rid of dark circles under the eyes effectively.
- Tea bags: Tea bags also help deal with puffiness and dark shadows around the eyes. Place wet tea bags over the eyes for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Retinol cream: It is advocated by a lot of dermatologists to deal with puffy, black encircled eyes.
You should also adhere to a well balanced diet and make sure that you’re getting all the vital vitamins and minerals. Dietary deficiencies make you tired and exhausted and also contribute to ‘panda eyes’. Talk to your doctor and start a multi-vitamin and a multi-mineral supplement to manage dietary insufficiency. Furthermore, make sure you are well hydrated and drink 8 to 10 glasses of water daily to combat puffiness.