Orange peelings are discarded to the waste box. But many of us do not know that this discard contains many nutritional benefits. For one, experts say that the peelings have about the same nutritional value as the flesh itself.
Some of the key health benefits associated with eating orange peels is associated with the availability of a host of nutrients and vitamins present in the peel. Some of the nutritive highlights of the peel include the following,
- You can extract the highest concentration of calcium and vitamin C simply by soaking the orange peelings in a glass of water. On the other hand, you can also munch the peelings if you will. Calcium is an essential mineral important for maintaining bone health while Vitamin C is vital in enhancing natural immunity.
- Flavonones are health-promoting nutrients that are found in the peelings and in the inner white pulp. Although it is also found in the juicy center, it is in a far greater concentration in the pulp.
- Oranges are excellent source of anti-inflammatory nutrients. This anti-inflammatory property of orange peels can be beneficial in fighting a host of autoimmune disorders like lupus, arthritis, rheumatic conditions, etc. .
- One of the health benefits of eating orange peels is that it is effective in lowering cholesterol in the body. Lowering cholesterol levels enhance the effectiveness of cardiac functions and prevent cardiac disorders like ischemic heart disease and myocardial infarcts.
Nutritional Benefits Of Eating Orange Peels
There are host of other benefits that are associated with the consumption of orange peels. Orange peels are beneficial in management and treatment of a host of disease conditions,
- The calcium and vitamin C in oranges are thought to be concentrated in the peelings. Eating them is the best possible way to obtain them in the greatest amount. This can be considered beneficial in the management of medical conditions like osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, rheumatoid disorders and joint pains. Further, it is considered beneficial in the management of asthma, upper respiratory tract infections, skin allergies and skin infections, etc.
- Orange peels are rich in phytonutrients that are good for the body in fighting many diseases and in keeping it strong. Oranges are considered useful in the treatment of cancers and medical conditions like hemorrhoids.
Precautions While Using Orange Peels
While orange peels have several health benefits, they are prone to accumulation of chemicals and pesticides which are rampantly used in horticulture today. Also on several occasions there are chemicals like wax, rubbed on the surface of the oranges to make them look healthier and fresh. Wash the peel well with warm water before consumption. Also ensure that the oranges are organic, which reduces the load of pesticides and chemicals in the orange peel.