Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas. Insulin acts as a carrier which binds with circulating glucose and delivers glucose to the cells for its function. Glucose in itself is unable to bind to the body cells alone; it needs insulin for this purpose.
Thus it plays an important role in utilizing glucose from the blood. When insulin fails to carry out its function the condition is termed as insulin resistance.
Causes of Insulin Resistance
What are the factors which cause insulin resistance?
- Stress and strain.
- Use of steroids
- Metabolic syndrome.
- Infection or severe illness.
- Hepatitis C
- Sugars (fructose and sucrose)
Insulin resistance is not a disease but it has been associated with conditions such as cardiovascular diseases, hypertension, polycystic ovarian disease, obesity, type 2 diabetes, non alcoholic fatty liver disease.
Symptoms of Insulin Resistance
Symptoms of insulin resistance: symptoms may vary from person to person.
- High blood sugar
- Fatigue and weakness.
- Abdominal gas.
- Person feels sleepy after meals.
- Weight gain.
- Increased blood triglyceride
- Raised blood pressure.
- Person feels abnormally hungry.
Diet and Precautions for Insulin Resistance
Insulin resistance diet should be composed of low carbohydrate, moderate amount of fat and protein.
Food to avoid: sugar, alcoholic beverages, artificial sweeteners, sugar, white bread, white flour, white rice, hydrogenated oils, fried foods, processed food.
Food that can be consumed in moderate quantity: wheat, brown rice, non starch vegetables, chicken, lamb, fish, eggs, almonds, menstruated oils, salt to a minimal quantity.
Foods which can be consumed liberally: radish, pepper, cucumber garlic, onion, spinach, tomato, cabbage, turnip, mushroom etc.
- Avoid food with high glycemic index. Unrefined sugar, white bread, corn and potato products such as bagels, mashed potatoes, French fries.
- Food that can be consumed with a low glycemic index: fiber containing food, spinach, broccoli, carrots etc.
- Exercise: Work out is a must.
- Yoga and meditation.