Scratchiness in the throat is often associated with a host of causative factors. Fortunately most of these factors can be treated effectively with simple home remedies and natural treatment.
Scratchy Throat Causes
A scratchy throat can signify a lot of things happening in the body but generally, it indicates a start of a viral infection.
The causes of a scratchy throat are usually due to some form of viruses entering the body.
- Common cold & Flu.
- Scratchy Throat Allergies especially allergies to pollen, dust and air pollution
- Unhealthy Habits like smoking and chewing tobacco are also linked with scratchiness in the throat. Excessive consumption of alcohol can also lead to scratchy throat.
- Excessive consumption of spicy foods may also result in irritation and scratching of the throat.
- GERD and acid reflux are conditions that can also be associated with irritation and scratching of the throat.
Scratchy Throat and Cough
Scratchy throat is often associated with cough. Depending upon the cause of the scratchy throat, the cough may or may not be associated with phlegm (i.e. dry cough or wet cough)
Persistent coughing can be associated with discomfort and may also further result in inflammation, irritation and pain in the throat. In some individuals, persistent cough may be associated with other symptoms like hoarseness of voice and blood in sputum. In such conditions it is always recommended to consult the physician at the earliest.
The physician would clinically evaluate the patient to understand the actual causative factors for the condition and suggest treatment accordingly.
Scratchy Throat Remedies
Throat irritation is often a symptom of other diseases and cannot be totally eliminated if the root cause is not addressed with medication. However, there are a lot of scratchy throat cures that can help relieve this symptom and give relief.
- Gargling with saline water provides relief for throat irritation as well as tonsil inflammation. Steam inhalation is considered to be a good alternative, as it helps address the problem of sinusitis and also helps soften the mucosal lining of the throat and thereby improves the symptoms
- Drinking a mixture of ginger and honey into a cup of tea helps treat a scratchy throat. Ginger is considered to have strong anti-inflammatory properties, while honey is a potent anti-microbial and has a soothing effect on the throat.
- A mixture of one teaspoon of turmeric powder and one cup of milk is also considered beneficial. Turmeric has anti inflammatory effects while warm milk helps improve blood circulation to the throat and hasten recovery.
- Marshmallow leaf helps relieve throat ailments in general
- Throat lozenges and cough syrups can also be used for the treatment of severe forms of throat irritation. However, these medications are often associated with side-effects like excessive sleepiness and dizziness.