Stomach ulcers are sores or lesions in the inner lining of stomach. The causative organism for stomach ulcer is helicobacter pylori (H. Pylori), it is a bacteria. Following are the triggering factors for stomach ulcer: heredity, age, stress, smoking, alcohol.
There are certain foods to avoid with stomach ulcers, as they exacerbate the symptoms of burning, pain, vomiting, gas and nausea. Besides this they increase the acid secretion in stomach.
Excessive secretion of hydrochloric acid in the stomach damages the inner lining of the stomach leading to an ulcer formation.
Foods To Avoid With Ulcers
Foods to avoid with stomach ulcer are:
- Spicy food: avoid chilies, peppers and hot sauces. They increase acid secretion.
- Fried food and greasy food such as sausages, salami, bacon, ribs, ham, French fries etc.
- Coffee, tea, colas, alcohol, tobacco, chocolate should be completely eliminated. They increase significant stomach acid production.
- Citrus foods cause discomfort in stomach of an ulcer patient. Avoid or limit eating oranges, lemons, limes, grapes, pineapple and fruit juices, jams and jellies.
- Vegetables such as broccoli, peas, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels, sprouts, pickled vegetables, onions, garlic, beans. They form gases and bloating in ulcer patients.
- Avoid or limit eating refined food: pasta, sugar, red meat, bread, processed foods, and junk foods.
From the above facts it is easy for you to make a list of what food to avoid with ulcer.
Treatment For Stomach Ulcer
Factors critical for the treatments of ulcer are:
Lower the production of acid, neutralize the acid produced so that the lining is not injured and allows ulcer healing. For this antacids and H2 receptors are used to reduce and neutralize the acids. Besides this, food also has its role to play in avoiding ulcer formation.
Mouth ulcers are caused due to stress, vitamin deficiency, accidental biting of cheek or tongue, eating hot food, sharp broken tooth, imperfect fitting dentures.
Avoid spicy, salty and sour food until the ulcer gets healed completely in few days.