The best way to stop a baby from crying is practice. As parents become more attuned with their newborns they begin to notice cues that help tell them what the baby is crying for.
- Crying is the way for a baby to communicate its needs to its parents or carers
Ways to Stop a Baby from Crying
Here are some of the most common reasons why a baby cries depending on what is causing the tears.
- Check the diaper of a crying baby to see if it has been soiled
- If yes, replace it.
- This is another very common reason why babies cry.
- In general, babies feed every 2 hours.
- Breastfeeding is recommended but babies can also make use of formula.
- Crying that falls in this 2 hour schedule will most likely be due to hunger.
- It is important to answer to hunger as soon as possible so that the baby does not get too distressed.
- When the baby cries during a feeding because the parent was not able to feed it immediately, it could swallow air and that could cause colic.
- This is very painful for babies and is one of the major reasons for crying
- To avoid this, parents should burp their babies after each feeding.
- A baby can also cry because it is tired
- This can also happen when the baby has missed a nap
- Rocking the baby or taking a drive in the car can help to get the baby to sleep.
Too Much Stimulation
- A baby can cry when it has been stimulated too much
- In this situation, white noise may be helpful.
- Some babies may also be soothed by the sound of running water or by the vacuum cleaner running in another room.
- Teething is painful for babies
- Teething rings that have been cooled can help soothe the pain
How to Stop a Baby From Crying at Night
Crying at night is normal for baby, but it can be very distressing for a parent, here are some tips to help keep a baby from crying at night.
- Have the crib near the parents’ bed – this helps to allow the parents to get to the baby immediately when it starts to cry.
- Become Familiar with the baby’s schedule