Having a scratchy and hoarse voice is often an indication of a problem in the vocal cords. This condition is usually not severe but may cause a lot of disruptions and inconvenience. It is marked by a hoarse sound that comes out when trying to speak and may lead to difficulty in producing sound or a change in either the quality or the pitch of the voice.
Other characteristics of having a scratchy and hoarse voice include:
- Weak voice
- Huskier sound than the normal speaking voice
- Very breathy sound coming out of the mouth
Scratchy Voice Causes
There are many causes of hoarseness.
- Allergies may cause hoarseness. Check if the patient has come into contact with anything new or not ordinary lately.
- Coughing may also cause hoarseness due to irritation in the throat
- Excessive use of either tobacco or alcohol.
- Extreme use of the voice such as singing too much or shouting too loud.
- Inhaling irritating substances
- Viral illness
Scratchy Voice Remedy
Knowing how to cure a scratchy voice naturally is an advantage since hoarseness often comes unexpectedly and it’s best to know where to find remedies that are safe and effective.
- Gargling warm salt water relieves the pain associated with hoarseness. A drop of lemon juice may also be added to the saline water.
- Steam inhalation is another effective remedy that provides quick, almost instant, relief to hoarseness that’s caused primarily by laryngitis.
- Ginger tea also reduces the inflammation that may be the cause of hoarseness.
- Garlic soup is another effective remedy that also contains antibiotic properties.
- Rest of the voice is recommended in order to bring strength back to the throat.