The adrenal glands have very important functions in the body, producing and regulating certain hormones. However, it is also possible for these glands to malfunction, causing problems and inducing various diseases.
- One of the possible problems that could affect the adrenal glands is swelling.
- The swelling could occur in just one of the glands or could affect both. In any case, when the glands are swollen, their normal functions are affected. This situation could lead to either overproduction or underproduction of the necessary hormones.
- There are many possible reasons why the glands could become swollen. Knowing these reasons can help the patient understand the symptoms and seek medical assistance.
- Knowing the causes and detecting the swollen glands are very important. These would allow the ailment to be addressed in its earliest stages, before it can cause havoc to the rest of the body.
Symptoms of Adrenal Glands Swelling
Watch out for the following symptoms that could indicate that the adrenal glands are swollen:
- Unexplained fatigue and exhaustion.
- Dizziness. This could occur because of the imbalances in the hormones in the body. The swollen glands may under or overproduce certain hormones.
- Overexcitement or abundance in energy. This is the opposite of fatigue and could also occur even when the patient is at rest and not subjected to stressful situations. The reason for this is that the glands might have overproduced adrenaline.
Detection and Diagnosis of Enlarged Adrenal Glands
- If the doctor suspects that the patient has enlarged adrenals, any or several of these tests will be ordered:
- CT scan
- MIBG scan
- MRI scan
- The following will also be checked:
- Adrenal carcinoma
- Adrenal adenoma
- Increased adrenalin level
- Adrenogenital syndrome
- Increased noradrenalin level
- High adrenal autoantibodies
- The symptoms of swollen adrenals are vague so that extensive tests will have to be done to properly diagnose the ailment.
Causes and Treatment for Swollen Adrenal Glands
- Possible causes:
- Chronic Infections
- Chronic high stress levels
- Determining the exact treatment procedure that the patient will undergo is quite difficult. The reason for this is that the disease is complex and could be caused by a number of different factors.
- Still, knowing the origin of the disease will help determine the right treatment. For instance, removal of the tumors in the glands could solve the ailment if tumors were the cause.