One of the problems pregnant women may suffer during pregnancy is jaundice. Jaundice during pregnancy is an ailment that is characterized by the yellowing of the person’s skin and the whites of her eyes.
Causes Of Jaundice During Pregnancy
When a pregnant woman has jaundice, there are often a few underlying reasons why this is occurring.
- Acute fatty liver of pregnancy that occurs during the second trimester, which is fatal if left undiagnosed and untreated.
- Viral hepatitis causes the inflammation of the person’s liver. It can be caused by different kinds of viruses that bring about the different types of hepatitis.
- Choledocholithiasis is a problem that is caused by gallstones in the person’s bile duct.
- HELLP Syndrome is a rare but very dangerously fatal condition is associated with pre-eclampsia.
Also see Benefits of DHA in Pregnancy
What to Do to Avoid and Cure Jaundice During Pregnancy
Mothers should know how to prevent jaundice during pregnancy. If they do find themselves with this problem, they should know the right diet for pregnant women with jaundice.
- Get yourself vaccinated for hepatitis before you get yourself pregnant.
- Pregnant women with jaundice should avoid fatty food and other sources like butter, lard, and other similar fatty substances.
- Avoid spicy foods, too much sweets, pickles, alcohol, coffee, and salted meats.
- Adequate care and precaution should be taken by pregnant women with jaundice to avoid foetal loss and worsening of the condition.
- Seek immediate attention once jaundice is evident.