Question: While dancing I jerked my neck so hard that I have got a stiff neck for last 3 days
Answer: The muscle which is most affected in stiff neck is levator scapula, it is muscle which connect the neck and the shoulder joint. Pain is the most prominent symptom of neck stiffness and pain is elicited more when you turn your head to the affected side.
Causes of Neck Stiffness
- Wrong sleeping posture
- Turning the head to one side for a long time while doing some work
- Vigorous exercise like dancing, swimming, weight lifting, jumping can cause muscle injury or its stretching.
- Even cold draft of air sometimes causes the muscle spasm.
Home Remedies for Neck Pain Stiffness
- Hot water fomentation to the affected side
- Gentle massage with a rubifacient
- Stress can be reduced by breathing exercise
- Rest is very important in acute phase
- Acupressure is beneficial in neck stiffness relief
- Gentle neck movements like turning your head to right and left, and up and down slowly helps the muscles to relieve spasm. This has to be done after the acute phase is better.
These are some of the commonest causes and treatments for neck pain stiffness.
If the symptoms still persist or aggravate you have to consult your health care provider for further investigation and treatment.