Acne inversa or hidradenitis suppurativa is a rather rare, long-term skin ailment which manifests as tiny, painful bumps under your skin. The eruptions characteristically develop where there are profuse sweat glands and where the skin rubs together – armpits, under the breasts, the groin, and between the buttocks. The lumps may break open and smell or cause tunnels beneath the skin.
Acne inversa usually begins after puberty. It may persevere for several years and aggravate with time; thus an early diagnosis and a prompt treatment regimen is a must and can help manage the symptoms well, prevent the occurrence of new eruptions and ward off against scarring of the skin and depression.
Signs And Symptoms Of Acne Inversa
Signs and symptoms of acne inversa include:
- Blackheads: Small pits with blackheads in them are a common feature.
- Red, tender bumps: The bumps tend to get bigger, break open and drain offensive pus. There will be itching and burning.
- Painful, pea-sized lumps: Hard lumps develop which enlarge and get inflamed.
- Tunnels: Tunnels connecting the lumps may form underneath the skin.
The condition begins between puberty and age 40. For some, the disorder progressively aggravates and afflicts various areas of the body. Hormonal changes, stress, heat and humidity aggravate the symptoms of acne inversa.
Causes Of Acne Inversa
Acne inversa develops around hair follicles that have many sebaceous glands and sweat glands, such as – the armpits and groin. It may also develop where your skin rubs together, such as – underneath the breasts, inner aspect of the thighs and between the buttocks.
Natural Remedies And Treatment For Acne Inversa
There is no complete cure for acne inversa. However, promptly starting treatment and long-term medication manages the discomfort and pain, promotes quick healing, makes sure new eruptions do not form and staves off complications.
- Antibiotics are very essential in managing the infection and inflammation rapidly. Your doctor may prescribe a topical antibiotic application or a course of oral drugs.
- Alongside, he will give you retinoids. Make sure you go for regular follow-ups.
- In really severe cases of widespread inflammation and scarring, steroids need to be given. However, do not use it for protracted periods of time.
- Tea tree essential oil is a natural remedy for acne inversa. Tea tree is a potent anti-bacterial and anti-fungal which helps clear of eruptions effectively and more importantly battles skin scarring. Use the neat oil over the bumps 3 to 4 times daily. Also, use face washes and shampoos which have tea tree in them.
- Adhere to a daily skin-care routine. Gently wash the affected area with a gentle cleanser. Do not use any product that irritates your skin.
- Applying a wet cotton swab as a compress decreases swelling and eases the pain.
- Turmeric is an excellent home remedy for acne and scarring. Apply powdered turmeric to the afflicted area several times during the day. Also, consume 1 to 2 teaspoons of the herb with honey once daily. Curcumin in turmeric is a powerful detox agent.
- Do not wear tight clothes. Wear loose, lightweight clothes to decrease friction. Also, use shampoos, conditioners, soaps and detergents which are free of dyes and fragrances.
- Stay well hydrated. Drink a minimum of 3 liters of water daily. Water flushes out from your system all toxins and noxious wastes which tend to aggravate your skin condition.
- Smoking is known to make hidradenitis suppurativa worse; steer clear of it.