Cystic acne is one of the most severe forms of acne and this condition usually affects the jaw line especially during early adulthood or during adolescence. This condition is more frequently observed in women and may appear in individuals who never had a problem of acne during their teens. Unlike other forms of acne, cystic acne is associated with severe pain and can lead to formation of unsightly scar marks on the skin.
Cystic acne is more frequently observed on the jaw line, but may also spread to other parts of the body namely the chest, back, buttocks and cheeks.
What Causes Cystic Acne On Jawline?
While there are several causes for onset of cystic acne during adult life, some of the more frequently observed causes/risk factors include,
- Hormonal changes are considered to be the primary factor that can trigger the onset of cystic acne. Women using oral contraceptive pills for birth control are more prone to develop this condition.
- Consumption of dairy products is another leading factor associated with formation of cystic acne.
- Using chemical and synthetic cosmetics can also be associated with formation of cystic acne. Use of moisturizers can clog the pores of the face making them prone to eruption of acne.
- Stress, irregular dietary patterns, etc can also act as high risk factors.
Home Remedies For Cystic Acne On Jawline
Here are some simple home based tips that can help reduce the severity of cystic acne on jawline,
- Wash the jawline and chin regularly, several times during the day. Improper skin care can lead to accumulation of dirt and oil on the skin, which in turn can clog the pores. This in turn can increase the risk of acne formation. Don’t apply soap on the skin while washing the chin, since this can make the skin to become dry.
- Use natural apricot or walnut scrub on the chin. Both these are loaded with essential vitamins and nutrients that are important for skin health. Vitamin E helps strengthen the collagen tissue and can help in preventing the spread of acne to deeper tissues while vitamin A helps improve the skin texture and prevent the formation of unsightly scars and marks.
- Local application of tea tree oil is also considered useful. Tea tree oil is an essential oil which has strong antimicrobial properties and can help prevent infection of the sebaceous glands. Tea tree oil can also help reduce the severity of the inflammatory response and thereby minimize the tissue damage caused by this severe form of acne.
- Local application of paste of turmeric with Aloe Vera gel is also found to have great positive effect. This home remedy not only helps control bacterial infections, but its anti-inflammatory properties have prevents the spread of cystic acne to other parts of the body. Turmeric can help in reducing redness, scarring and pain associated with cystic acne.
- Homeopathic drugs like Graphitis and Merc Sol are very vital in the management of this severe form of acne. Both these drugs can control the spread and alleviate symptoms like nodular formation and redness. However using homeopathic remedies may lead to with severe scarring of the skin.