No one would like to display or exhibit their romantic endeavor or intense passionate moments which they have spend with their partner. However, for them hickies are the spoil sports. They are physical proofs that are difficult to hide especially on visible areas of skin. A hickie also called love bite, kiss mark or love symbol is nothing but a bruise mark which develops on skin after kissing or sucking too hard.
Hickies form when the tiny capillaries (blood vessels) underneath the skin break. It occurs when the blood vessels under the soft skin is damaged due to deep kissing, sucking or biting.
For initial few days a hickey appears as red spot. It gradually becomes purple and disappears on its own after a period of 7 to 10 days as the blood clot dissolves without any treatment. However, for some people it is a cause of embarrassment, especially when it appears on areas which are visible to others. You can hide a hickey with makeup or with clothes.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Hickies
The treatment of hickies is same as you treat other bruises. Below are given time tested home remedies to heal hickies faster.
- Ice cold compresses: Just like other bruises, apply ice or cold compresses on the area. Cold application constricts the blood vessels and limits further oozing of blood from the broken vessels. It reduces swelling and redness and promotes faster healing. Do not apply ice directly on hickies. Put few cubes in a towel and rub the moist towel gently on a hickie. Repeat cold sponges four to five times in a day.
- Cold spoon: Keep a spoon in refrigerator until it becomes cold. Now take out the spoon and hold it on hickies. It will work in the same way as cold compresses.
- Massage: A gentle massage with two fingers will help the clotted blood to disperse. It thus reduces its redness and visibility. Repeat it 5 to 6 times in a day.
- Peppermint oil: Peppermint oil is a natural stimulant for enhancing blood circulation on clotted area of skin. Soak a cotton ball in peppermint oil and dab it on hickies. In the beginning you may feel tingling sensation on skin, but after few minutes it subsides. Use it not more than two times, as it may irritate the skin.
- Aloe vera: Apply fresh extract of aloe vera on hickies. The anti inflammatory and soothing effect of aloe vera enhances the healing process. It is an effective home remedy for hickies present on shoulder and neck. If you are not able to get fresh aloe vera, apply aloe vera cream or lotion.
- Witch hazel: Apply witch hazel cream or freshly prepared tea on your love bite. Witch hazel contains a compound called tannin. It helps to tighten the skin and thus helps in controlling blood flow from capillaries. At the same time the anti inflammatory properties accelerate the healing process.