Dark Skin Around Mouth
Besides giving the skin its natural color, melanin also serves as a sunscreen to protect the skin from any damage caused by UV rays and sun’s heat. Melanin tends to concentrate more on certain areas of the skin such as the mouth, which has the tendency to darken more easily when exposed to sunlight.
Other reasons why the skin around the mouth is apt to darken more are the buildup of dead skin cells in that area, and the fact that the skin layer in the mouth is thinner than the rest of the skin.
Home Remedies For Dark Skin Around Mouth
Since it is inevitable to avoid the sun’s harmful UV rays when going out, one may take extra care by applying sunscreen with an SPF factor of at least 30, if the temperature outside is very high.
If the skin around the mouth is somewhat darker than the rest of the face, there are home remedies that individuals can try to undo the discoloration. Some of them are the following:
- Topical application of Aloe Vera gel or its fresh extracts on the affected areas.
- Prepare a mixture of grated cucumber and lime juice. Apply it around the mouth and leave the treatment for 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
- Slice lemon into halves and squeeze each half onto the affected skin. Rinse after 10 minutes.
- Prepare a paste using a gram of flour and a teaspoon of turmeric powder and half of a cup of curd. Apply on the affected area and leave the treatment for 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
How To Remove Dark Skin Around Mouth
Sometimes, individuals ignore the skin around their mouth when they apply skin care products such as a moisturizer or skin whitening cream onto their face. This practice can lead to uneven facial skin tone. To resolve this, ensure that the skin around the mouth receives equal skin care treatment. However, if the dark skin in this area is not due to an uneven application of a beauty product, then the following tips might help:
- Mix oatmeal, tomato juice and curd in a cup, and apply onto the affected skin for 15 minutes. Rinse with water.
- Apply slices of raw potato onto the skin and leave them for 20 minutes.
- Mix lime juice and turmeric powder. Apply onto the affected area for 20 minutes. Rinse with water.