Arthritis of the elbow may be osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. For many people, arthritis of the elbow causes immense discomfort and pain not only when they bend their elbow, but also when they straighten it. Diet and lifestyle changes are the chief ways of managing arthritis successfully.
Arthritis of the elbow is essentially inflammation of the elbow joint resulting in pain and discomfort, stiffness, reduced range of movement and even incapacitation with regard to day to day activities.
Occasionally, there may be tenderness, swelling and redness as well. Treatment and prompt management is crucial to prevent further deterioration of the joint. In extreme cases you may have to resort to pain killers, however, a host of home remedies and natural treatments provide immense relief.
Home Remedies For Arthritis Pain In Elbow
The following guidelines will help you manage the symptoms of arthritis better:
- Have ginger daily.
- Garlic is another effective home remedy that is exceedingly beneficial for arthritis of the elbow.
- Soy is an excellent remedy for arthritis. Soy protein helps strengthen the joint and effectively wards off swellings. Have soy milk, roasted soy nuts, tofu or soy chunks daily.
- Also, you need to get you serum D3 levels assessed; talk to your health care provider about your D3 level and the necessity to start supplements.
- Likewise B12 levels need to be assessed too and supplements started when necessary.
- Talk to your doctor about glucosamine. Glucosamine is a protein of the joint that lubricates the joint and keeps it working well. However, conferring with the doctor is a must before embarking upon glucosamine treatment because of the side effects associated with the supplement.
- Massages are of immense help too. Schedule sessions with your masseuse. Massaging the elbow joint on a frequent basis will help improvement the range of motion, allay pain and discomfort and stave off swellings too.
- Physiotherapy affords relief as well. Try to attend at least 15 sessions of physical therapy. Not only will your pain and stiffness subside, your range of motion will improve too.
Exercises For Elbow Arthritis
These exercises will provide relief from arthritic pain. Nonetheless, it is advisable to consult your physical therapist before starting them.
- Elbow bend: Hold your hand in front of you. Then bend the elbow slowly upwards, such that the hand touches the shoulder. Hold to the count of 10. Release and repeat three times.
- Wrist flex: Hold your hand out in front of you. Now, bend the wrist slowly downwards. Hold for a few seconds and come back. Do about 20 to 25 repetitions.
- Wrist lift: Hold your hand in front of you. Now bend the wrist upwards. Hold for a few seconds and come back. Repeat it about 20 to 25 times.
Doing these exercises on a regular basis will afford considerable benefits. They help assuage the pain significantly, improve the range of movement of the elbow joint and banish stiffness.