Sore Throat is often associated with inflammation and swelling of the glands of the pharynx. The inflammation results in enlargement of the lymph nodes located around the throat and are often a chronic infection. Though there are several factors that are responsible for soreness of the throat, about 10% of all throat infections are attributed to streptococci infection.
Throat infection and inflammation is a chronic condition though not a life threatening condition.
What Causes Sore Throat And Glands To Swell?
The most common causes of a chronic sore throat and swollen throat gland include infection due to streptococci. However there are other causes associated with the condition,
- Acid reflux disease, resulting in regurgitation of the stomach content into the pharynx may result in swelling and irritation in the throat.
- Excessive screaming or shouting can result in an irritation of the vocal cords which in turn may result in sore throat.
- Sore throat can also be attributed to excessive consumption of irritants like tobacco or smoking or excessive consumption of alcohol.
- Sinusitis (i.e. upper respiratory tract infection) can be associated with soreness of throat. Excessive coughing, due to lower respiratory tract infections namely tuberculosis is also considered to be a cause of sore throat.
- Occasionally cancers affecting the head and neck region, results in enlargement of the lymph nodes of the neck, which in turn may result in soreness of throat.
Symptoms Of Swelling In Throat Glands
Swelling of the glands of the throat can be associated with enlargement of the lymph nodes around the neck and below the ears. These glands are often palpable and painful. The symptoms associated with swollen glands of the throat include,
- Difficulty to breathe through the nose. Often individuals, especially children with sore throat and swollen glands tend to breathe through the mouth.
- Irritation and pain in the throat region are commonly observed. Pain is exaggerated at the time of swallowing and while attempting to talk.
- Systemic symptoms like fever and malaise are observed along with soreness of throat and swelling of the glands of the throat.
- Often fresh blood may be observed in the sputum, especially due to acute irritation of the throat.
Home Remedies For Sore Throat And Swollen Glands
Here are some simple home remedies that can be beneficial in the management of sore throat,
- Consuming raw honey is considered beneficial. Honey is an anti-bacterial and also has a soothing effect on the throat. In addition, honey is a great source of energy, which helps strengthen the immune response and manage sore throat effectively.
- Consuming turmeric mixed with honey on regular basis is very beneficial. Turmeric has strong anti-bacterial properties.
- Increase the intake of fresh fruits namely lime, lemon, oranges, strawberries, etc. These fruits are a great source of Vitamin C and help enhance the immune functions.
- Chicken soup or tomato soap is very beneficial. Consume the soap when warm. These soups provide energy to fight with the infection which is responsible for sore throat.