Intestines play a vital role in digestion and absorption of the food that we consume. The intestine is home to several bacteria (both harmful and beneficial), which participate in the metabolic activities. In general, there is a delicate balance between yeast (candida or harmful bacteria) and other useful bacteria, and the alteration in this balance can lead to the onset of this condition.
There are different strains of candida (or yeast) with candida albicans being the most common among humans.
Symptoms Of Fungal Overgrowth In The Body
The symptoms associated with this condition are highly non specific and hence makes diagnosis of the condition very difficult.
- Fatigue and difficulty to concentrate are associated with reduced supply of energy to the body.
- Body ache is another common symptom which is linked with deficiency of macro and micro-nutrients.
- Gastrointestinal symptoms include diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain and bloating.
- Sudden craving for sugar and sweet foods can be linked to the overgrowth of candida.
- Systemic symptoms include rashes on the skin, excessive itching and reduced body temperature (hypothermia).
- Other symptoms include allergies to food items that were previously not observed.
- Other symptoms include increased sensitivity to perfumes or strong odors, depression, panic attacks and sexual dysfunction. Menstrual irregularities may also be observed.
Dietary Cures For Fungal Overgrowth
In most cases, dietary corrections can help in alleviating most of the symptoms associated with fungal overgrowth. Here are some important diet tips,
- Reduce the intake of carbohydrates and sugars. Candida needs sugar to feed and grow and limiting the supply of carbohydrates can lead to natural destruction of this fungi. Avoid refined or processed food including flour, refined sugar, aerated drinks, etc. instead opt for natural foods like whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, etc. Avoid milk and dairy products.
- Ensure that you consume adequate amount of multivitamin supplements. In cases of fungal overgrowth, the fungi may interfere with the digestive process and may reduce the supply of micro-nutrients to the body, thereby resulting in most of the distressing symptoms.
- Consume fresh lemon juice about thrice in a day. Lemon juice will help boost natural immunity and also works as a strong detox and aid in elimination of the bacteria. Add raw honey if required to the lemon juice, as honey has strong antibacterial properties.
Fungal Overgrowth Natural Cure
The treatment focused on a holistic approach and dietary modifications forms an integral part of the treatment regimen. In addition there are some natural herbs and home remedies that can be beneficial in the treatment of this condition,
- Consume freshly crushed garlic cloves. Garlic has a strong anti-fungal effect and helps purge the intestine of the various toxins.
- Include probiotic supplements in your diet. Probiotics (useful bacteria) help in displacing the overgrown fungi from the intestinal ecosystem by competing for energy and space. Long term use of probiotics is recommended.