Many women find menstruation odor to be pesky during and after their periods. It is an embarrassing experience to have that lingering foul smell wherever you go. People may think that you are not maintaining a proper hygien, even if you are. A normal vaginal discharge does not have any smell. Therefore, a foul smelling vaginal discharge is a distinguishing point between a normal and abnormal menstrual period. The foul odor during menstruation is not normal, it is either due to an infection in the vagina or in the cervix.
Causes Of Foul Menstruation Odor
- Trichomonal infection in the vagina is the most common cause for bad odor during menstruation. Usually the odor is associated with abnormal discharge from the vagina.
Vaginitis caused as a result of trichmonial infection is the main cause of menstruation odor.
- The other symptom associated with vaginitis is itching in the vaginal area. There may be burning urine accompanied with vaginal itching.
- Monilial infection of vagina is another cause for menstruation odor.
- Inflammation and infection of the cervix can also cause abnormal discharge and foul odor during menstruation.
Foul Odor During Menstruation
The pH level of vagina changes during the menstrual cycle. Generally, the pH of vagina is acidic. But few days prior to and during menstruation, the vaginal pH becomes more alkaline . Bacteria flourish in alkaline pH. Infection in the vagina is more likely to occur during this period as a result of favorable environment. This causes foul smelling menstruation.
If you forget the tampon inside your vagina for a long time during and after menstruation, it will emit a very bad odor. When in doubt, insert two fingers in the vagina and check for the tampon and remove it. Alternatively, consult your gynecologist who can easily remove the tampon.
Under normal circumstances, the menstrual bleeding will vary in consistency, color and odor from time to time during the whole cycle. But you should be alert and take remedial action when the menstrual discharge odor is very abnormal.
Home Remedies For Foul Smelling Menstruation
- Douching is used since olden days and is a time-tested remedy for menstruation odor.
- Douching has to be done 4 to 6 days after the completion of the menstrual cycle.
- Rice wash is generally very useful in curtailing the menstruation odor.
- Soak few fenugreek seeds in a cup of water at night. Drink the water along with the seeds in the morning.
- Remember to change your sanitary pads throughout your periods, as stale blood can give rise to foul odor.
- Avoid using tampons when you are prone to foul smelling menstruation. Instead, use sanitary pads. Tampons may allow the bacteria to thrive in the vaginal area, especially when you keep it for long time.
- Always wear cotton panties during your menstrual cycle. This encourages free air circulation around the vaginal area. It keeps the area dry during your period. Synthetic material traps the moisture. It makes an ideal atmosphere for the yeast and the bacteria to produce menstruation odor.
- Eat garlic as it is known to have anti-fungal properties. It will help fight the fungal infection.
- Eat proper nutritious diet. Consume yogurt regularly as it helps curtail the vaginal infection. Yogurt contains good bacteria that maintain the acidic pH of the vagina. It helps in combating odor causing bacteria.