Though onion allergy symptoms are rare, it can occur in few hypersensitive individuals whose immune system concludes the protein present in onion as harmful to the body. It triggers a chain of reaction in the body giving onion allergy symptoms such as gastric bloating, nausea, and skin itching.
Onion allergy symptoms are usually the result of eating raw onion. Cooking onion before consuming it can bring down the percentage of onion allergy symptoms.
Usually those who are allergic to onion are also at a risk of having garlic allergy as both are from same liliaceae family.
Symptoms Of Onion Allergy
As onion allergy is a kind of contact allergy, the symptoms are related to the skin and gastrointestinal tract and respiratory tract.
- Skin rash.
- Watering of eyes.
- Nasal discharge.
- Throat irritation.
- Burning lips and mouth.
- Bloating of abdomen.
- Gas and reflux esophagitis.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Tightness in chest.
- In rare cases anaphylaxis reaction
Usually those who complain of onion allergy may be actually intolerant to onion.
Home Remedies For Onion Allergy
Even though onion allergy is rare, if it is of mild onset you can effectively treat it’s symptoms with suitable home remedies:
- Apply aloe vera gel over the burning lips and mouth, it give a soothing effect and relieves itching and burning.
- Papaya and bananas eases digestion and help to relieve bloating and gas.
- Almond is known to neutralize the acid present in stomach; it is useful when there is reflux and heart burn due to eating onions.
- Mix lemon juice and honey in a glass of water and drink it twice in a day to get relief from cough and vomiting.
- Skin hives and itching can be controlled simple home remedy such as rose water and vinegar. Apply the mixture on the affected part and relieve the skin symptoms of onion allergy.
Treatment For Allergic Reaction To Onions
The symptoms are generally mild, but in rare cases it can become serious and immediate medical attention is necessary.
- Mild symptoms such as gases and bloating can be taken care of by eliminating onion from the diet or eating cooked onions. This is usually due to onion intolerance.
- Moderate to severe symptoms may be allergic, they may require antihistaminic medicines. This is usually for skin conditions and nasal sneezing.
- The use of bronchodilator in asthmatic conditions can be advised by your doctor.
- In more severe cases such as anaphylaxis reaction, an immediate medical attention is vital.