Prostatitis is a condition which is characterized by inflammation of the prostate gland and affects males who suffer from prostate enlargement. While there are different types of prostatitis- bacterial or non-bacterial, congestive prostatitis is characterized by accumulation of fluids in the gland.
The most common causes associated with congestive prostatitis include prolonged arousal with no ejaculation or withdrawing at the time of ejaculation.
- Testicular pain during orgasm, which is the result of congestion of blood in the blood vessels supplying to the genital area. The pain usually prevents ejaculation.
- Prostatic hyperplasia which is benign in nature.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- Prostate cancer
- Cysts in the urinary tract
- Recurrent constipation
- Injury to the spinal cord
- Hormonal imbalance caused especially during andropause (affects males between the ages of 55 – 65 years).
- Sedentary lifestyle which is associated with sitting for long duration of time.
While the condition is common in elderly, it may be present in younger adults or children.
How To Prevent Congestive Prostatitis?
There are certain lifestyle tips that can help in preventing congestive prostatitis,
- A healthy sexual life is the central point in the management of this condition. Too frequent ejaculations are harmful for the prostate.
- Obesity is linked with this condition. Hence a healthy diet focused at managing an optimum weight is crucial to prevent this condition.
- Frequent breaks are vital, especially for individuals having desk jobs, to prevent a precipitation of this condition. Regular exercises help improve blood circulation and prevent congestion.
- Limit the intake of alcohol. Drink lots of fluids to prevent urinary tract infections, which can trigger an episode of prostatitis.
- Regular visits to the urologist’s office are important to identify symptoms and take preventive actions.
Natural Remedies For Congestive Prostatitis
The condition is not life threatening and in most cases the symptoms are relieved within a few weeks. There are certain natural treatment options that can help in the management of the condition,
- Regular massage of the prostate gland can help relieve the swelling and provide pain relief. A typical prostate gland massage is performed via the anus and hence should be performed only by a trained medical professional.
- Some experts suggest that masturbation at least once every three days can help in reducing congestion in the prostate gland and release build up fluid.
- Sits bath is considered useful to help reduce the risk of bacterial infection. Add a couple of drops of tea tree oil to the bath water and soak the genitals for about 10-15 minutes in it.
- Herbs like Echinacea and Nettle are very useful in reducing congestion and inflammation. These herbs need to be consumed as per directions prescribed by the medical professional.
- Regular walk for about 30 minutes is the best exercise for prostate gland and helps relieve symptoms of enlargement. This is considered to be the best form of massage for the prostate gland.
- Homeopathic drug Phytollaca is very useful in alleviating the symptoms of prostate congestion.
- Pumpkin seeds are very beneficial in dealing with benign prostate enlargement. Roasted pumpkin seeds should be consumed once in a week (about 10 grams of the seed).