Solar lentigines are dark spots on skin that develop due to overexposure to UV rays of sunlight or from artificial UV lights. They are also known as age spots. It usually occurs in people over the age of 40 or among those who work for many hours under the sun.
Solar lentigines are flat with well demarcated margin. The shape can be round, oval or irregular. The color of solar lentigo can be dark brown, black, or tanned.
This spots are harmless, but some people find them aesthetically unappealing. For those who want to lighten the spots, there are several conventional dermatologic treatments and home remedies. However, these spots can develop again if you do neglect taking care of your skin from sunrays.
What Are The Causes Of Solar Lentigines?
Solar lentigines as the name suggests are the result of prolonged overexposure to sun rays. Melanocytes are skin cells that produce melanin pigment which gives color to your skin. Melanocytes increase the production of melanin pigment to protect your skin from the harmful effect of UV rays of sunlight when you are excessively exposed to sunlight. However, for some reason melanin starts accumulating in one spot instead of distributing all over the skin. This leads to development of lentigines.
Solar lentigines occur after years of overexposure to sunlight. They develop gradually over a period of time. Age spots have genetic association, besides exposure to UV rays of sun. If you are genetically susceptible, the risk of solar lentigines is probably much more as you grow older. It can also develop after overexposure to artificial tanning bed or lamps.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Solar Lentigines
There are several home remedies that are as effective as conventional skin peeling and laser techniques. Sometimes the time taken by home remedies may be longer, but they are safe and economic. Few important and time tested natural remedies that help to lighten age spots are:
- Castor oil: Castor oil has amazing properties to lighten dark spots and blemishes. Fatty acids present in castor oil penetrate deep inside the skin and dark spots. It helps to make them light as its beneficial properties encourage the healthy cells to grow from inwards to outer layer. Apply it daily for few weeks as the spots may take time to fade.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe is an effective natural and safe remedy for making solar lentigines lighter. Its anti inflammatory property is well known. It enhances the skin cell to regenerate from within. As the new cells develop, the older cells are sloughed off. It also moisturizes the skin. All the blend of beneficial properties helps the dark spots to fade easily.
- Milk or buttermilk: Both are useful for fading hyper pigmented spots. Lactic acid present in milk and buttermilk helps to lighten dark skin as well as spots.
- Baking soda: Prepare a paste by mixing baking soda and water. Apply it regularly on solar lentigines. It is an effective home remedy for treating dark spots.
- Lemon: Apply lemon juice on solar lentigines once in a day regularly. Lemon has natural bleaching properties. It helps to lighten the spots over a period of time after its application.