Obesity has become a great health concern world over since last few decades. It is regarded as chronic disease that is influenced both by genetic as well as environmental factors. It has become a leading cause for many serious chronic conditions including high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart attack, and type 2 diabetes.
From diet point of view, many people advocate eating high protein diet for weight loss. It benefits by increasing the metabolic activity, reducing appetite, and brings about change in hormones that regulate weight. Adding extra protein in your meals can help to lose weight and the more concerning belly fat.
Various Reasons That Help High Protein Diet To Lose Weight
Protein is important macronutrient among the other two namely carbohydrate and fats. It helps in repairing and maintaining health of muscles, bones, skin, hair and in fact every cell in the body.
Let us know how it does and the reasons underlying it. However, a person must always consult his doctor, especially if he is suffering from liver or kidney disease before starting high protein diet in his meal.
- Eating higher amount of protein containing food will reduce appetite. It thus reduces calorie intake.
- Intake of high protein diet increases the metabolic rate. The amount of calorie required to digest protein is much greater. The boost in metabolism is much more as compared to carbohydrates and fats.
- It keeps your stomach full for longer period of time; hence it reduces craving and late night snacking habits. Both these factors contribute in weight gain. High protein diet checks them.
- Increasing protein in diet helps to change the behavior of hormone that have active role in hunger and satiety. A high protein diet activates increased secretion of hormone GLP-1, a hormone that increases satiety. It also reduces level of ghrelin in the blood, the hormone which increases hunger. When carbohydrate and fats are replaced by eating more protein food, person will fell less hungry. Even after eating small amount of food, he feels satiated.
What Are High Protein Foods For Weight Loss?
- Hard boiled egg is better as it contain less fat and carbohydrate content.
- Yogurt besides containing protein is also rich source of calcium which helps to strengthen bones. It also contains probiotic bacteria that help in digesting food.
- Cottage Cheese is a great late night snack if you are feeling hungry.
- Whey powder digests quickly and consists of protein in large amount.
- Fish such as tuna, halibut, salmon, sardines.
- High protein meat which include beef, pork, chicken breast, turkey breast.
- Beans and legumes, green peas.
- Almonds, pistachios, walnuts, peanuts.