The human intestine is 40 feet long canal which plays a vital role in digestion and absorption of nutrients and vitamins from the food that we consume. The intestinal environment allows the growth of several bacteria, some of which are harmless, while others are considered useful, as they contribute in the digestive process.
Till a few decades ago, Blastocystis Hominis was considered to be a common and harmless organism found in the intestinal tract; however it has now been re-classified as a disease producing organism.
Blastocystis Hominis is a weak parasite and is usually present in an individual’s intestinal system, without producing any symptoms. This parasite works in combination with other bacteria or parasites to produce symptoms of gastrointestinal distress.
Causes Of Blastocystis Hominis Infection
Unlike other parasitic infestations which are attributed to lack of hygienic practices like hand washing or healthy cooking practices, blastocystis can survive in the intestine in a dormant state without producing any symptoms. This parasite has a thick cell wall and feeds on intestinal yeast and undigested food.
Further, the parasite hides within the intestinal mucosa which makes its elimination difficult. Due to its ability to quickly adapt to intestinal changes, the parasite is usually resistant to any form of medication or herbal treatments.
Any reason associated with sudden drop in the immunity of an individual, can trigger the growth of this parasite and contribute to the host of symptoms associated with the condition.
Blastocystis Hominis Infection Symptoms
The common symptoms associated with the infestation of this parasite include the following,
- Abdominal pain and distress which is aggravated on eating.
- Abdominal bloating associated with burping and passing of flatus is a common symptom.
- Itching in the anus along with burning while passing stools. The anal itching is often associated with formation of ulcers in the mouth.
- Nausea and vomiting may be present, especially as a reaction to the toxins released by the parasite.
How To Get Rid Of Blastocystis Hominis Naturally?
This parasite attacks whenever the body’s immune system is weakened and hence the focus of the treatment is to strengthen the immune system. Natural treatment regimen focuses on the use of certain home remedies along with certain lifestyle modifications,
- Avoid refined foods especially sugar and flour. Opt for fresh fruits and vegetables and include good quality proteins in your diet.
- Lower the intake of carbohydrates, as blastocystis feeds of intestinal yeast and in absence of carbohydrates, the growth of intestinal yeast is hampered, which in turn cuts the food supply of the parasite.
- Include dietary fiber in your diet. Also attempt a two day lemon detox program to cleanse the intestine of the toxins and parasites.
- Herbs have been effective in killing the parasite; however blastocystis adapts quickly to the environment and hence becomes resistant to the herbs, if used over a prolonged period of time. Hence herb rotation is recommended whereby one should consume one herb twice a day for three days, and then change over to the next herb. Some of the herbs that can be effective against blastocystis include walnut, wormwood, gentian, cloves and oregano.
- Vitamin and Nutrient supplements are required as the growth of the parasitic can be associated with micro-nutrient deficiencies. Vitamin A, Vitamin C and zinc are considered important since these supplements can also enhance overall sense of wellness.