Liver damage often results in the loss of ability of the liver to function normally. It can result in indigestion, accumulation of toxins in the blood and interfere with the production of proteins. Liver damage is progressive in nature and hence it is important to be aware of the early signs of liver damage in order to reverse the condition and prevent severe liver damage.
Fortunately there are some home remedies and natural treatment options that can help treat and reverse early signs of liver damage.
Liver damage can be acute or chronic in nature. While acute condition is characterized by sudden onset of symptoms, chronic condition may take longer to manifest some of the symptoms. Though the early signs of liver damage may differ in acute and chronic types, some of the more frequently and commonly observed signs and symptoms include,
- Jaundice: Jaundice is a symptom which is characterized by abnormal yellowish discoloration of the skin and sclera of the eyes. This is attributed to defective bilirubin metabolism by the liver, which results in accumulation of bilirubin in the blood, resulting in the abnormal skin and sclera discoloration.
- Abdominal pain: Liver damage is often associated with swelling and inflammation of the liver tissue, which results in abdominal pain. While the severity of the pain may vary, abdominal pain, associated with liver damage, often emerges half an hour after a meal.
- Indigestion and reduced appetite: Liver plays a very important role in digestion and liver damage not only results in indigestion, but also results in loss of appetite.
- Tiredness and lethargy are other symptoms that are often associated with reduced liver functions. Liver plays an important role in protein metabolism and proteins are important for internal repairs and maintenance of all body tissue. Damaged liver can result in poor repair of body tissues resulting in weakness and tiredness.
- Abdominal distension with abdominal enlargement may be attributed to poor digestion and swelling of the liver tissue.
How To Reverse Early Liver Damage Naturally?
Fortunately liver damage can be reversed naturally by making dietary and lifestyle corrections. Liver tissue has the ability to heal itself naturally, provided appropriate measures are taken at an early stage. Here are some simple tips to reverse liver damage promptly,
- Avoid oily and spicy foods and also avoid dairy products. These foods are difficult to digest and put additional strain on the already damaged liver tissue. Opt for easily digestible foods like boiled vegetables, steamed rice, chicken soup, etc.
- Limit the intake of over the counter medications. Studies have shown that overdose of acetaminophen and other over the counter drugs can have a detrimental effect on liver functioning and result in acute liver failure. Always seek medical advice before taking any medications.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol and stop smoking. Both these habits are linked with increased strain on the liver tissue and attribute to severe liver damage.
- Homeopathic drugs like Lycopodium and Chelidonium are considered to play a very important role in liver rejuvenation. Take appropriate doses of these medications to hasten recovery.
- Take vitamin K supplements which are important to improve digestion and also hastens recovery of the liver.