A sinus cyst is a tiny, teardrop shaped growth in the sinus cavity. Minor cysts tend to go unnoticed because they do not produce any manifesting symptoms. As they enlarge, they become apparent due to nasal obstruction and sinus pressure pain.
It is not very clear why maxillary sinus cysts develop, however, they are supposed to be caused by chronic sinus infections and allergies.
Signs And Symptoms Of Maxillary Sinus Cyst
Commonly seen signs and symptoms of a maxillary sinus cyst are:
- Pain in the maxilla, or the cheek bone.
- Sensation of fullness and heaviness in the cheeks.
- Sneezing, nasal discharge and running nose.
- Breathing difficulty
- Nose block
Natural Home Remedies For Maxillary Sinus Cyst
Mild cases of maxillary sinus cysts are managed with prescribed oral or nasal spray steroid. The steroid will help shrink the cyst until it has gone. In severe cases, your doctor may advise surgical intervention to remove the cyst.
Alongside, to manage the distressing symptoms of the cysts, you can try these home remedies; they help effectively lessen the presenting features and also prevent the emergence of new cysts successfully.
- Eucalyptus and tea tree essential oils: Blend 2 drops eucalyptus essential oil, 2 drops tea tree essential oil and add to boiling water. Inhale the emanating vapors. These oils will open up the congested sinus cavities and make breathing easier. Eucalyptus clears the airway while tea tree gets rid of most sinus infections.
- You could also blend 2 drops of each of eucalyptus and tea tree essential oil with carrier oil such as olive oil and massage over the nose, cheeks and forehead for relief.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is the best infection fighter. Curcumin in the herb battles chronic sinus infections effectually and manages nasal blockages very well. Boil 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk and consume daily.
- Ginger: Ginger is another excellent natural remedy for sinus troubles. Ginger is loaded with gingerols which combat infection and inflammation and thus treat the troubling sinus symptoms. Have a glass of ginger tea daily; or have a tablespoon of the powdered herb with a tablespoon of honey.
- Garlic: Garlic with its pungent smell and taste and powerful enzymes is effective in the management of most sinus related complaints. Grate one flake of garlic and blend with a spoon of honey and consume thrice a day. This promises to clear up the sinus cavity, nasal passages and the respiratory airway. It manages the debilitating headache of maxillary sinus cysts well and wards off fever as well.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is very essential when it comes to infection fighting and rapid recuperation. It takes care of chronic sinusitis infections and prevents the development of new cysts. Talk to your health care provider about starting a supplement for vitamin C and what dosage you should follow. You could also step up the intake of vitamin C rich foods such as limes, lemons, guavas, cherries, papayas, bell peppers and tomatoes. These will boost your immune mechanism substantially.