Anti-bacterial is an agent-compound or chemical, which can help kill bacteria and microbes. Bacteria and microbes often lead to infections or infectious conditions. Use of antibacterial can help restrict the growth of these bacteria and thereby halt the infection.
Modern medicine has several antibacterial agents that work specifically on particular types of microbes and bacteria.
There are several natural antibacterial agents that have been found to be highly effective in controlling infections. Use of natural antibacterial can also reduce the need for synthetic anti-bacterial; thereby maintain sensitivity and enhancing natural immunity. Further natural anti-bacterials have limited side effects.
Natural Antibacterial Foods And Herbs With Antibiotic Properties
Here is a list of 8 natural antibacterial agents,
- Honey is one of the leading natural anti bacterial agent. As per an assessment done by the national library of medicine, honey’s anti bacterial abilities are attributed to high concentration of hydrogen peroxide and petide b-defisin-1.
- Raw cabbage and cabbage juice have strong anti bacterial abilities. As per reports, cabbage is effective in combating H pylori infections which lead to stomach ulcers. Additionally cabbage is also beneficial in preventing jaundice and bladder infections.
- Fermented foods provide anti bacterial protection along with having probiotic effect. Probiotics are essential to maintain a healthy balance of flora in the intestine and alleviate the side effects of conventional antibiotics, especially loose motions.
- Lemon has antibacterial properties which are attributed to coumarin and tetrazine. Research indicates that both these compounds are effective against a host of pathogens and microbes.
- Horseradish has antibacterial properties, which was proven by Langone medical centre way back in the 1980s. In Germany, horseradish is recommended as supportive therapy to deal with sinusitis, respiratory infections and urinary tract infections.
- Turmeric has strong antibacterial properties. As per the national library of medicine, turmeric contains curricum, which is potent antimicrobial agent and effective in dealing with Staphylococcus, E coli, Pseudomonas and Bacillus strains.
- Ginger is a root vegetable which is effective in treating respiratory infections. Ginger contains gingerols, which are potent anti microbial agents against a host of gram negative bacteria. Further ginger is also effective against a wide range of bacteria found in the mouth.
- Onions and garlic are also used as antibacterial agents traditionally. Both contain sulfur compounds which are effective against staph infections. Further, they are potent in dealing with fungal infections. Compounds in onions and garlic also help fight free radicals and are considered very effective to deal with cancers.
Additionally a host of other herbs are found effective against bacterial and microbial infections. These herbs include Thyme, Basil, Mint, Cinnamon, Rosemary, Cloves, Oregano, Chili peppers, Bay leaves, coriander, Nutmeg, pepper, Cardamon and Caraway seeds.
Experts suggest that it is more essential to use these anti-bacterial agents in combination, especially in cases of multiple infections, to enhance their efficacy. Some experts recommend using these herbs and natural anti-bacterial to intensify the action of antibiotics.