Stress, anxiety and depression tend to have a direct impact on an individual’s mood. Mood swings are also associated with hormonal changes, faulty diet and other environmental factors.
Studies have shown that there are certain foods that can help in regulating mood. In addition to mood enhancing foods, there are host of other techniques including relaxation techniques, exercise and yoga which help boost mood naturally.
There are a host of foods that play a part and directly influence your mood,
- Dairy products: Milk, cheese and butter are foods that tend to enhance mood and improve a sense of wellbeing. It is recommended to consume low fat dairy products, especially to lower the risk of cardiovascular disorders, atherosclerosis and diabetes. Dairy products are loaded with vitamins and minerals which play a vital role in enhancing the mood.
- Bananas: Bananas are one of the foods that play a crucial role in boosting the mood. Bananas help enhance energy levels and improve the tone of the nervous system, both of which contribute towards improving the overall sense of wellbeing.
- Chocolates: Recent studies have shown that chocolate or coca has a direct impact on the production of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is an important chemical found in the brain which controls appetite, controls impulse and mood. Studies have shown that individuals who consume chocolates are less likely to suffer from mood swings. However, dark chocolates are recommended and healthier compared to white or brown chocolates.
- Fish: Fish contain essential fatty acids namely omega-3 fatty acids, which have also been known to enhance mood and improve the levels of serotonin in the blood. Vegans who don’t consume fish should opt for fish liver oils, which are equally potent and beneficial for health.
- Poultry: Both eggs and chicken are loaded with essential amino acids which play a vital role in the regulation of chemical balance in the brain, especially by stimulating the production of hormones.
Natural Ways To Boost Your Mood
In addition to the dietary suggestions mentioned above, there are a host of other techniques that are considered to have a positive effect on the mood and help in managing disorders like anxiety and depression,
- Regular exercise is considered to stimulate the production of certain hormones in the brain which helps improve the mood. Further regular exercise also improves the overall health of the body, which in turn makes you feel physically fit, which in turn has a direct impact on your mental health. Regular exercise increases the natural production of Human Growth Hormone in the brain, which is considered to have a positive effect on the mental health.
- Sleep: Adequate sleep is very important to improve mood. Studies have shown that individuals who don’t get adequate sleep are prone to irritability, crabbiness and mood swings. Irregular sleep can result in chemical imbalance in the brain which in turn results in mood swings. A minimum eight hours of sleep is recommended for all individuals. Adequate sleep also stimulates HGH production, which in turn is considered to be vital for overall health.
- Yoga and meditation: Yoga and meditation are two techniques which are also considered to improve the serotonin levels in the brain and enhance mood.