The immune system is a part of body’s defense system. It has been evolved to protect the body against disease causing pathogens, harmful environment agents as well as internal problems such as neoplasm. However, sometimes the immune system fails to protect the body and the agent successfully starts invading the body leading to sickness.
There are lots of factors responsible to weaken the immune system. It can be internal as well as external. One such factor is use of antibiotics. Antibiotics are useful medications and they are used in treatment of bacterial infection. However, its overuse for long period of time is known to weaken the immune system and the intestinal flora. Both this factors can sometimes lead to antibiotic resistance. Although antibiotics can lower immunity if used for long period of time, it does not mean you must not use them.
Rebuild Your Immune System After Antibiotics
- Take probiotics with antibiotics. Probiotics contain good bacteria that help to keep balance in the intestinal flora. It reduces risk of diarrhea that is often caused by use of antibiotics.
- Sleep is important for maintaining healthy immunity. At least sleep for 7 to 8 hours at night. Proper sleep boosts immune system.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Both contain vitamin C and bioflavanoids. They are essential for strengthening immune system.
- Exercise for 20 to 30 minutes daily as it strengthens immunity by triggering an increase in T cells and white blood cells that fight infection.
- Eat garlic as it has strong immune boosting properties. You can add garlic in your food preparations.
- Eat turmeric or add turmeric powder in your food preparations. Turmeric contains a substance called curcumin; a powerful immune booster.
All the above will help to improve your immunity after prolonged use of antibiotics.
Rebuild your immune system after chemo:
Immune system can also become weak after chemotherapy medications that are used in treatment of cancer. Chemotherapy drugs are extremely toxic and they kill healthy cells along with cancerous cells. Chemo often causes depletion of nutrients as it affects the digestive system. The drug destroys healthy bacterial flora in the intestine. To strengthen the immune system after chemo, following steps are helpful:
- Drink plenty of water daily; person must drink at least 8 to 9 glasses of water. Water helps to flush off the toxins out of the body.
- Eat fruits and vegetables preferably grown in organic manure. Fruits such as strawberry, mulberry, oranges, pears, peaches, cherries, and vegetables such as tomato, kale, cabbage etc are loaded with vitamins and antioxidants. Both help to boost immune system.
- Avoid sugar and processed foods.
- Avoid alcohol and cigarette smoking.
- Increase your omega 3 intake. Omega-3 is healthy fat that helps to strengthen immune system of cancer patients. Fish, flaxseeds, walnuts all contain plenty of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Drink one glass of fresh wheatgrass juice daily after chemotherapy. Wheat grass is made up of chlorophyll and antioxidants.