While there are a host of factors that can result in thick toenails, most of the causes can be treated easily at home using simple home remedies. This article provides insight about how to get rid of thick toenails based on the causes of this condition.
Thickening of toenails is attributed to several factors.
What Causes Toenails To Thicken?
There are a host of factors that can cause thickened toenails,
- Fungal infection of the toenail can result in thickened and yellow toenails. In addition to thickening of the toenail, fungal infection can result in pain, burning and occasional bleeding from the toe.
- Repeated injury to the toe, especially among athletes is another common cause of thickened toenails.
- Skin condition like eczema, dermatitis and psoriasis are also closely linked with distorted and thickened nails.
- Other conditions include faulty footwear, diabetes, obesity, etc, which can lead to increased strain on the toenails, resulting in thickening and discoloration of the toenails.
Home Remedies To Cure Thick Toenails
While the treatment may depend upon the underlying cause, there are certain lifestyle modifications and home remedies that have proven most effective in management of thickened toenails.
- Ensure that you use appropriate footwear for your feet. Faulty footwear can result in increased strain on the toe and thereby increase the risk of injury and infection, both of which can lead to thickened toenails.
- Keep your feet clean and dry. Moisture and dirt can increase the risk of infection of the nail bed, increasing the risk of thickening of toenails.
- Before going to bed, add a few drops of Dettol or an antiseptic solution in a bucket of warm water and soak your feet in the bucket for a few minutes. The hot water will help improve circulation in your feet, which in turn will hasten the healing process, while the anti-septic will help fight infection. Ensure that you dry your feet with a clean towel before going to bed.
In addition to the lifestyle tips above there are certain home remedies and natural treatment for the management of thickened toenails,
- Mix turmeric with Aloe Vera gel and apply it on the toenail. The turmeric powder will help fight the infection, while the Aloe gel will help soften the skin and the nail tissue.
- Local application of tea tree oil is recommended in cases of fungal infection of the toe, which is one of the most common causes for thickening of the toenail.
If these simple home-based techniques don’t work, visit your physician immediately. A complete systemic evaluation may be required to understand the underlying cause and treat it appropriately.