Raw honey is loaded with medicinal properties, which can be useful when consumed internally or when applied locally. Honey increases calcium absorption, prevents anemia, enhances immunity and is even found to be effective in the treatment of insomnia. Raw honey has profound benefits on skin and hair.
Raw Honey Benefits for Skin
The Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration, approved the sale of honey for medicinal purposes in 1999, and honey was sold on pharmacy counters across Australia.
- Raw honey is known to protect the body against bacteria and parasites. It can be consumed internally or applied locally. Raw honey contains antibiotics which help kill microbes and hence is considered effective in the management of skin infections, eczema and psoriasis
- Raw honey also hastens the healing of wounds when applied locally.
- Raw honey is also considered as an effective skin cleanser. Mix raw honey with oatmeal and use it in the form of a face pack. Leave it on for about fifteen minutes. This will help you get rid of acne scars and unwanted blemish on the skin.
Raw Honey for Acne
The benefits of honey in skin care, especially treatment of acne is profound. Here are some simple tips on how to use raw honey for acne,
- Honey mask is the simplest way of applying raw honey on the skin. Scoop out some honey from the jar and directly apply it on to the skin.
- If you are using honey for the first time, test it for allergic reaction. Apply some bit of honey on the inner part of your wrist for about 15 minutes. If you don’t experience any inflammation or itching, you can apply it on your face
- Raw honey mask can be tricky since, unlike other face masks, honey doesn’t solidify. Hence it is recommended not to apply too much of raw honey, as it will drip down
- Alternatively slather the honey and keep patting it on your face. This will prevent dripping of honey and also improve circulation in the skin
Raw Honey for Hair
Mix one tablespoon of honey with equal quantity of cinnamon. The nutrients in honey and cinnamon help in cleansing and moisturizing the scalp which in turn encourages hair growth. Leave the application on for about thirty minutes before rising it off with cold water.