Freckles are the most common skin anomaly among fair skinned people. Freckles occur as a result of excessive localized formation of melanin pigment. The color of freckles may vary from light brown to dark brown; the color may fade when the skin is protected from the sun. These brown spots on skin are usually flat and round, the size may vary anywhere between a pin-head and a split pea.
Freckles occur symmetrically on the exposed areas of the body like face, neck, and forearms. If other areas of the body are exposed, for example in sunbathing or when a lady wears sleeveless blouse they may also be affected.
Freckles are common among people with delicate and fair skin, blondes and red-headed. Freckles do not occur in palms of the hands and soles of the feet. Freckles are harmless and they are not associated with the risk of becoming malignant. When your skin is exposed to sunlight, freckles become darker because they are sensitive to ultraviolet rays of the sunlight.
Besides prolonged exposure to sunlight and hormonal imbalance, hereditary aspect is also considered to be the cause as it usually runs in the family.
Natural Home Remedies To Lighten Freckles
Though freckles are harmless, they are unsightly and lower the self esteem of an individual. For these reasons many people try all the means to lighten them. There are many treatment procedures to lighten freckles such as laser therapy, bleaching creams, chemical. Some of them are expensive while others are not very effective.
One of the safest modes of lightening freckles is with natural home remedies.
- Lemon: apply lemon juice on the affected area with a cotton ball. Rub the area for few minutes. Lemon juice has natural qualities to lighten the skin. Always use fresh lemon juice because bottled or canned lemon juice may contain harmful preservatives or colors and fragrances.
- Parsley: apply freshly prepared juice of parsley on the affected area of face and neck. To enhance its effect you can also add fresh lemon juice. Let the juice remain for 10 to15 minutes before you rinse it with lukewarm water.
- Orange juice: you can also add orange juice in equal amount to parsley juice and apply it on the face or on the area where freckles are in large numbers.
- Sour milk: it is a best natural remedy to lighten freckles. The lactic acid present in sour milk works on the skin surface and gently peels the skin without irritation or drying.
Lightening Freckles On Face Naturally
- Papaya: The enzyme Papain, present in papaya acts upon the freckles to lighten them. Applying papaya juice on your face or you can also rub a slice of papaya on the face. Besides lightening the freckles papaya juice also makes your skin smooth and glowing.
- Masks prepared from vegetables and fruits such as apricot mask and strawberry mask or cucumber masks diminish the dark color of freckles. Apply the mask during evening hours, and keep it for fifteen minutes. Since some fruit mask recipes makes your skin photosensitive, do not venture out in the sum immediately after applying the mask. Evening and night time is the best time for this reason.
- Vitamin E: break one or two soft gel capsules of vitamin E and apply it on your face before retiring to the bed at night.
- Butter milk: wash your face with fresh butter milk. The sour acid present in sour butter milk helps to lighten the dark freckles. This method can be used twice in a week when you have to often go out in the sun.
- Eat fruits and vegetables containing vitamin C. Oranges, tomatoes, apples, grapes, lemon etc. are good for keeping your skin healthy.
Besides following the natural remedies for lightening the freckles, you have to use sunscreen lotion whenever you go out in the sun. Sunscreen lotion helps to protect your skin from the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun.