Vitamins for Healthy Skin
- Vitamins usually have antioxidants that help maintain a healthy and younger-looking skin. In fact, many manufacturers of skin-care products use several ingredients that contain lots of vitamins which do not only promote healthy skin, but can also slow down early signs of aging in the skin.
- Most common vitamins that promote healthy skin include vitamins E, A, K, C, and B.
- Vitamin E is considered a potent antioxidant that contains free radicals that helps develop younger looking skin. It is also a natural moisturizer.
- Vitamin A drives skin cells to produce faster which brings in new and fresh cells that promote healthy skin.
- Vitamin K, C and B also are good sources of antioxidants that help in skin cell renewal which makes the skin healthy. Dry skin and age spots can be cleared with products that contain a substantial amount of these vitamins.
- These vitamins can be obtained by patients from different sources. One common source which has been proven to make the skin healthy is food.
Vitamins for Healthy Skin Hair and Nails
There are three common vitamins that help in the development of healthy skin hair and nails. These three include:
- Vitamin A. This kind of vitamin is commonly known as beta-carotene. Good sources of this vitamin are carrots, tomatoes, squash, and other fruits or vegetables that are colored red, orange or yellow. Patients should take note that the deeper the color of the food source gets, the more vitamin A it contains. In terms of function, this vitamin helps in the metabolism of protein which helps in skin hair and nail growth.
- Vitamin D. This vitamin helps in the absorption of calcium which results in strong and healthy hair roots. When there is deficiency in vitamin D, nails can become brittle, dry and flaky. Vitamin D is proven to be essential not only in maintaining healthy skin hair and nails, but also in overall skin health.
- Biotin. This is one of the B-complex vitamins commonly known as vitamin B7. It functions by tearing down fatty acids and leucine and a coenzyme in the production of glucose. This kind of vitamin basically controls blood sugar levels. Having normal blood sugar levels promotes healthy growth of hair strands and nails. Good sources of biotin include peanuts, egg yolks, liver, banana, avocados, and soya. There are also supplements that contain biotin.