Laryngitis in babies and infants is a very common condition. The larynx or voice box and the trachea or the airway to the lungs get swollen and inflamed, making it difficult to breathe. Laryngitis in babies is known as croup.
Croup usually afflicts children between 6 months and 3 years, but, may even occur in older children.
Symptoms of Laryngitis in Babies
The typical barking cough of croup or laryngitis is easy to recognize. Although it can be rather scary to hear your baby cough like that, in most cases, it sounds worse than it actually is.
- Bark like cough
- Running nose
- Sore throat
- Loud, high pitched rasping sound when the baby breathes
- An attack of croup tends to come on in the middle of the night. Your baby may be awake, coughing, sitting up, and scared.
How to Treat Laryngitis in Toddlers
Ideally, visiting and consulting your doctor is very important, in order to make the right diagnosis and start the appropriate medication.
- Persuade your baby to take more milk or water so that she stays well hydrated. Babies who have started solid foods, give juice and warm soup frequently, it will provide comfort and relief.
- Turmeric is the best home remedy for croup. Turmeric reduces swelling, inflammation and congestion. Add 1 teaspoon of powered turmeric and add to a glass of boiling milk. Stir well and give your baby at least twice daily.
- Ginger tea is another effectual remedy for laryngitis in babies. Grate about half an inch of ginger in a glass of water. Boil this well for about 10 minutes. Cool and add a spoon of honey; give this decocotion to our baby, several times a day. Ginger too allays inflammation ad soothes the throat. It reduces the frequency and intensity of coughing.
- Caraway seeds are prescribed for croup frequently. Caraway seeds act like a decongestant and throat pain reliever. It helps prevent an attack of cough from coming on. Boil about 3 – 4 spoons of the seeds in a bowl of water; and give your baby 1 teaspoon of this decoction 8 to 10 times daily. It allays croup symptoms almost instantaneously.
- If your baby is crying and is upset, the cough could aggravate. It is vital that you comfort and cheer up your baby with lots of hugs and kisses. Holding her upright over your shoulder or making him sit on the lap may help him to relax, and also breathe more easily.
- If your baby is 9 months and above you may use aromatherapy essential oils to manage the symptoms well. Blend 1 drop o tea tree essential oil or eucalyptus essential oil in 10 drops of a abase oil such as almond oil or olive oil and gently massage the baby’s throat, chest and back; this affords respite. You may also allow the baby to sniff the essential oils once or twice daily for quick relief.