The liver is a very vital organ which is situated just under the rib cage on the right side of your abdomen. It plays an important role in digesting food and eliminating toxic wastes from the body. Liver diseases may be genetic or may develop due to a host of factors which impair its functioning.
Signs and symptoms of liver problems include:
- Jaundice – yellowing of the skin and eyes.
- Pain, discomfort and swelling in the abdomen.
- Swelling in the legs and ankles.
- Pale, pasty stools or bloody stools.
- A tendency to bruise easily.
- Itching of the skin
- Dark yellow urine
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
What Causes Liver Problems In Children?
- Infection: Viruses and parasites infect the liver, causing inflammation and impairing the functioning of the liver. Viruses which trigger liver damage spread via contaminated food and / or water, through the blood, or close contact with a person who has the infection. The most common types of liver infection occur through the hepatitis viruses.
- Immune system abnormality: Autoimmune diseases such as autoimmune hepatitis, primary sclerosing cholangitis and biliary cirrhosis.
- Heredity: A faulty gene inherited from one or both the parents can cause some degree of liver impairment. Common causes of inherited liver disorders are Hemochromatosis, Wilson’s disease, Hyperoxaluria and oxalosis
- Malignant conditions: Liver cancer and bile duct tumor.
- Fatty liver disease.
Natural Treatment For Liver Disease In Babies
Treatment for a liver disease depends upon the diagnosis. You need to carry out certain tests and establish the precise cause. Your health care provider will prescribe medicines to manage the infection and inflammation effectively.
Malignant conditions need surgical intervention. To protect your liver, it’s important to talk to your doctor about the potential risks and complications before you take any complementary medicines.
- Garlic is an excellent natural remedy for managing liver problems. It helps detox and cleanse the liver successfully, thus making it work well. It helps activate enzymes in the liver which sluice out toxins. It contains natural compounds – allicin and selenium, which aid in the liver-detox process and shield your liver from damage. Garlic also helps decrease cholesterol and triglyceride levels, which can overload the liver and impede its functioning. Ensure that you have 3 to 5 flakes of raw garlic every day.
- Beetroot is another potent food to cleanse the liver and perk up its functioning. High in plant flavonoids and beta-carotene, it helps the liver function better and also purifies the blood. Have beet juice or add to your salad everyday
- Lemons are perhaps the most effective of natural remedies to manage liver troubles. The powerful antioxidant D-Limonene present in lemon helps detoxify the liver and the body. Moreover, the high amount of vitamin C in lemons helps the liver produce more enzymes to aid digestion. Have lemon juice every morning with a little bit of honey added.
In severe cases, not responding to medications, the patient may need a liver transplant, especially, when there is liver failure. Discuss with the health care provider and understand the options and possible complications.