Healthy gums in children are usually bright red in appearance; however they become more spongy and tender when they get swollen. There may be slight depression or pock marks on the gums when a bacterial infection sets in beneath the gums. When new teeth are coming out of the gums, it appears stretched.
Causes of Swollen Gums in Children
- Inadequate care of the teeth is the main cause of swollen gums in children. This allows the bacteria to flourish and grow.
- In some children, the gum disease is secondary to diseases such as diabetes or other auto immune disease. Type 1diabetes in children can cause swelling of gums. Children having Down’s syndrome, Kindler syndrome have tender and swollen gums.
- Vitamin C deficiency is often associated with inflamed gums.
- Eating hard candy or something very hard can traumatize the gums and lead to swelling of gums.
- Any direct trauma to the mouth or falling down on the mouth can cause swelling of the gums.
- Brushing roughly can cause damage to the gums and cause swelling.
- Even some children have the habit of toughing the gums too frequently. This irritates, and inflames the gums.
Swollen Gums in Children Treatment
Swollen gums are not a laughing matter even if it is present in children. It is a warning sign of the impending trouble in the form of periodontal disease. Therefore early diagnosis is necessary for treating the underlying dental problem successfully.
Parent’s first preference should be to prevent the swollen gums and tooth decay.
- For this, they have to teach their children how to clean their teeth and prevent tooth decay. Teach the child to clean his teeth in a circular motion rather than to and fro, or up and down. Circular motion ensures each and every corner of the teeth surface is cleaned properly.
- Gentle gum massage is necessary to improve the circulation.
- Use soft bristle toothbrush.
- One of the common home remedy for treating swollen gums is massage your teeth with common salt. It not only reduces the swelling of gums, but it also prevents dental carries and bad breath.
- Lemon is rich source of vitamin C. It reduces the risk of dental diseases; it prevents swollen gums bleeding from the gums.
- Mix baking soda with the tooth paste and brush the teeth. It helps to eliminate the bacteria on the gums and the teeth and reduces the swollen gums.