White Hair in Children
Hair is essential for humans because it serves as a sensory function, which in one way or another extends the sense of touch in some parts of the body such as the ears and nose. Hair roots are known as hair follicles. The hair follicles contain melanin which is the one that gives color to the hair.
Cause of White Hair in Children
White hair in children can be due to a lot of different reasons. Enumerated below are the causes of premature white hair in children;
- Having a white hair at a young age is mostly genetic. People who have white hair when they were young tend to produce children who also have premature white hair.
- Other than genetic, the most common cause for having premature white hair is the lack of vitamin B12.
- Certain medical conditions such as anemia and thyroid hormone imbalance may also cause white hair at a young age.
- Stress is a common cause for almost all physical problems including white hair in children.
- Studies show that smoking can contribute to the early growth of white hair.
- Vitiligo is an autoimmune disorder in which the melanocytes are considered as foreign organisms and are killed.
- One of the symptoms of the Waardenburg Syndrome is white patches on the hair.
Premature White Hair in Children Treatment
Premature white hair in children may cause anxiety to both the parents and the child. It is a condition that can result to a bad appearance and low self-esteem in children. Fortunately, here are some remedies for premature white hair in children:
- Eating of foods rich in iron, vitamin B, sodium, and copper.
- Fruits and vegetables contain antioxidants that fight against free radicals which can cause premature white hair.
- Massage hair with coconut oil that is boiled with curry leaves.
- Apply oil and gooseberry powder mixture.
- Use henna as a natural hair dye for white hair.
- Folic acid can also prevent hair from becoming white.