Otitis media is the inflammation of the middle ear. The disorder is classified in to acute otitis media and chronic otitis media. Acute otitis media is seen as a sudden onset of swelling and pain in the ear. The symptoms last for a shorter duration.
Chronic otitis media symptoms persist for a prolonged period of time.
Otitis Media Symptoms
Otitis media is relatively more common in children than in adults. Symptoms are manifested as:
- Crying, inability to sleep, irritability, fever, and restlessness
- The child keeps pulling the ear.
- Some children complain of ear ache. Temporary hearing loss may occur.
- There will be discharge from the ear, dizziness and an incapability to balance.
- Adults complain of: ear ache, pressure in the ear, nausea, giddiness, fever, headache, temporary hearing loss and buzzing in the ear.
Left untreated, otitis media can result in several complications like rupturing of the eardrum and everlasting hearing loss.
Otitis Media Treatment
Doctors or ENT specialists use an otoscope to inspect the ear. Painkillers and anti biotics are prescribed to allay the symptoms of pain and infection. Application of warm compresses is also advised. A tympanostomy ear tube may be placed to drain discharge / fluid from the middle ear. If the eardrum has been damaged, surgical intervention may become necessary.
Nevertheless, here are some effective home remedies to mange the symptoms of otitis media.
Home Remedies for Otitis Media Treatment
- Warm compress: press a warm water bottle or a hot bag of salt against the ear. It reduces pain appreciably.
- Tea tree oil: tea tree oil is the most medicinal aroma oil. Use this essential oil 2 to 3 times every day, it eases pain promptly. It fights infection and diminishes swelling and inflammation.
- Aromatherapy: essential oils such as ginger, pepper, peppermint and eucalyptus are very effective. Blend them and add to steaming water in a bowl. Inhale these fumes, at least once everyday.
- Goldenseal and Echinacea: are useful herbs that help cleanse the body and throw out bacteria and their products.
- Garlic: is the best anti biotic. Instill 2 drops of garlic juice in to the ear. Let the juice remain for sometime. Garlic promises to eliminate bacterial infection and promptly eases pain.
- Vitamin C: is very important to boost and reinforce your immune mechanism. Ensure that you consume either a supplement of vitamin C or eat loads of limes, lemons, oranges and bell peppers.
- Zinc: reduces ear infections. Zinc supplements are advocated for recurrent ear infections. You could also include zinc rich foods, such as: walnuts, cashews, almonds, oysters, soy, etc.
- Vitamin E oil capsules: pierce the vitamin E capsule with a sterilized needle or pin and instill the oil in to the affected ear. It is a highly beneficial remedy for otitis media.
- Clove oil: place 2 drops of neat / undiluted clove oil in the affected ear. Clove will reduce swelling and pain and combat infection successfully.