An expanding waistline is often seen with advancing age, after childbirth and during menopause. An increase in belly fat not only affects you cosmetically, but also raises your risk to a host of health issues.
Your weight is determined by how many calories you eat and how many you burn. If you eat too much and do not exercise, you will definitely gain weight, including having a fat belly.
With age, muscle mass decreases, whilst fat increases. When there is a loss of muscle mass, the rate at which your body makes use of the calories also diminishes, and this makes it more difficult to maintain a healthy body weight and more so, a flat belly.
Some women perceive an increase in belly fat as they age, even if there may not be any weight gain. This happens because of dropping estrogen levels, which influences how and where fat is distributed in your body.
One’s tendency to gain weight around the tummy has a genetic component as well.
Natural Ways To Reduce Belly Fat In Women
- You can tone the muscles of the belly with crunches and other targeted abdominal exercises to sluice away belly fat.
- Eat a healthy, wholesome rainbow diet. Let plant based foods, such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains be the mainstay of your diet. Opt for lean sources of protein and low fat dairy products.
- Steer clear of saturated fats found in meat and certain dairy products, such as margarine, butter and cheese. Select moderate quantities of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats that are in nuts, fish, and certain vegetable oils.
- Stay away from sugar. Do away with sugary beverages. Drink water, herbal teas, and fruit juices instead.
- Keep portion sizes in check. Have small frequent meals through the day. You can have up to 5 to 6 small meals during the course of the day.
- Do not smoke and steer clear of alcohol.
- Include physical activity into your daily routine. Moderate aerobic activity, such as brisk walking, for at least 150 minutes a week or vigorous aerobic activity, such as jogging, for at least 75 minutes a week is recommended.
- Clinical trials have indicated that it takes 15,000 steps every day to make sure that you do not regain the weight after considerable weight loss.
- Strength training exercises are effective as well; do them twice a week.
- Certain yoga poses are decidedly beneficial, when it comes to shedding belly fat. They help tone up the muscles of the abdomen and promise you a flatter belly. Twists and abdominal toners massage the bowels, bring fresh oxygenated blood to the GI tract and promote healthy digestion and elimination. All this helps lose pounds of wanted fat and helps contour your body. Effective belly toners are – The Camel, The Double Leg Raises, The Boat, The Revolved Abdomen, and The Cobra.
- To lose weight, and more essentially, to keep it from coming back, aim for slow and steady weight loss; do not practice crash diets. Consult your doctor for help getting started and staying on track.