Day in and day out you may hear people saying ‘today I am exhausted and I have drained out my energy’. Exhaustion is not a new phenomenon, people in ancient days too used to get exhausted and fatigued. But in today’s modern age, exhaustion has become a routine. People feel tired physically as well as mentally.
Demands of work schedule may compel a person to skip breaks, and lunch time. Lack of sleep due to changing work pattern, working overtime to meet the given deadline at workplace contributes to exhaustion and fatigue.
Though not serious condition, exhaustion is a state of health where a person feels tired and weary all the time. This is characterized by lessened capacity to work and reduced efficiency in accomplishing the given task. If you are feeling exhausted merely by doing non strenuous work or getting tired persistently, it is time to wake up and talk to your doctor regarding the change.
Causes Of Exhaustion In Children And Adults
There are several reasons for a person to get exhausted.
A child as well as an adult both may get exhausted, however many times the causes may be different.
Causes Of Exhaustion In Children
- Excess of caffeine intake: many children consume too much of caffeine products which include soft drinks, tea, coffee, chocolates etc. Excess consumption of caffeine may give instant wakefulness but later on it triggers exhaustion.
- Watching television: watching TV for long hours may disturb sleep and wake cycle and ultimately affect their health leading to feeling of exhaustion.
- Exercising excessively in evening: exercising heavily in the later part of the day.
- Child suffering from viral or bacterial disease.
- Child suffering from respiratory, heart and kidney disease.
Causes Of Exhaustion In Adults
- Excessive physical exertion.
- Stress and strain.
- Abuse of alcohol and drugs.
- Sleeplessness due to shift work.
- Jet lag.
- Viral and bacterial diseases.
- Dehydration resulting in electrolyte imbalance.
- Heat stroke.
- Worry and anxiety.
Symptoms Of Exhaustion
- Person becomes inattentive as and is not able to concentrate on work.
- He feels confused.
- Person feels dizzy when he is exhausted.
- He becomes irritable and moody. Both are common in people who are exhausted. Due to this his relationship with people may be in trouble.
- The immune system is low.
- A person who is over exhausted is often seen overusing coffee, tea, and other supplements.
- Person finds difficulty in sleeping even if he is exhausted.
- He does not feel fresh even after waking in the morning.
- Exhaustion makes the person susceptible to infection.
- Exhaustion can make the person angrier.
Home Remedies To Reduce Exhaustion
There are several home remedies which may help to reduce exhaustion.
- Whenever you feel exhausted, drink enough amounts of water or fruit juices.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing in hot summer weather. Wear lose fitting clothing.
- Drink coconut water at least two times in a day when you feel exhausted. Coconut contains high mineral content. Drinking one glass of coconut water energizes the body instantly.
- Eat 2 to 3 dates and drink milk after eating dates.
- Lemon and carrot juices are the two most useful juices to combat tiredness.
- Reduce the amount of caffeine and colas.
- Take hot water bath and listen to relaxing music.
- A proper balanced diet consisting of vitamins and minerals helps in boosting the energy. A person can take vitamin supplementation if needed.