Falling out of eyelashes can be triggered by a host of factors, including hair loss, use of cosmetics, certain drugs, and medical and psychological reasons. Nonetheless, with adequate eye care, you can manage and prevent eyelash loss.
Some common causes of eyelashes falling out are:
- Vigorous washing: Frequently, you may lose a few eyelashes whilst bathing in case the cleaning routine is too harsh or too frequent.
- Make-up: Mascara which is too heavy can crush and break eyelashes. Waterproof mascara calls for constant pulling and tugging with an oil-based mascara remover. False eyelashes make use of glue which pulls out your lashes when removed. Eyelash curlers too damage and weaken your lashes.
- Medicines: Eyelash loss occurs as a side effect of Botulinum A injections, a therapy for muscle spasms. Anti-coagulants, anti-cholesterol drugs and anti-thyroid drugs are also known to cause the lashes to fall out.
- Diseases and disorders: Infections and autoimmune diseases, such as, thyroid irregularities, alopecia areata and trichotillomania cause eyelash loss. Styes, an infection at the root of the eyelash follicle triggers eyelash loss. Also blepharitis, the inflammation of the eyelid is a significant cause.
- Stress is a vital etiological factor.
- Deficiency: Dietary deficiencies can affect the health of eyelashes and cause them to fall out.
- Excessive rubbing of the eye because of allergies, hormone imbalances and chemotherapy set off loss of eyelashes.
Is It Normal For Eyelashes To Fall Out?
Occasionally losing 1 to 2 lashes is quite normal and should not be a cause for concern. By and large, a new eyelash will re-grow from the existing hair follicle. Excessive eyelash loss is definitely worrisome and may be due to the mascara you are using or due to a medical cause.
It is normal to lose hair all over your body, including the eyelashes. On the other hand, if you see an undue number of eyelashes on your clothes or they fall out in clumps, you need to ascertain the cause.
Common manifestations include:
- Eyelashes fall out, may happen in clumps.
- Itching around the eyes.
- In case of an infection or allergy, the eye may turn red.
Natural Ways To Prevent Eyelashes From Falling Out
There are several ways to ensure that you have healthy lashes:
- Lightly coat your eye lashes with petroleum jelly, every night.
- Remove all traces of mascara before using an eyelash curler; use waterproof mascara occasionally. Essentially, remove all makeup at night. If you do not remove eye makeup, it causes the eyelashes to break while you sleep and also clogs your pores.
- Use a gentle eye makeup remover.
- Select mascara very carefully. The mascara that you use has a direct effect on the health of the eye lashes. Waterproof mascaras are difficult to get rid of and tend to result in pulling of the eye area. Also, some of it may not get removed completely. This leads to breakage of the lashes. Opt for water soluble mascara on a daily basis.
- Curl your eyelashes before applying mascara. Curling the lashes after applying mascara results in their breakage, because mascara makes the eyelashes dry. When you curl dry lashes, they are greatly vulnerable to breakage.
- Use an eye cream; this keeps the eyes and eyelids well moisturized and also hydrates eyelashes, making them healthy.