Untreated Welder’s flash injury can result in an secondary infection of the cornea which can result in loss of vision. Early treatment is crucial in the efficient management of Welder’s flash and hastens the process of healing and prevents the serious complications associated with it. A Welder’s Flash may also occur due to direct exposure to ultraviolet rays of the sun.
Welders Flash Symptoms
The symptoms associated with welder’s flash are primarily due to the damage caused to the cornea. The damaged cornea tends to get inflamed and swollen which is manifested in the form of the following symptoms,
- Blurring of Vision is often the first symptom to manifest after a flash eye
- Increased sensitivity to light and inability to open the eyes in presence of light
- Severe and distressing pain in the eye with constant sensation of pricking, especially when blinking
- Lachrymal discharge and watering from the eyes.
- The eyes may appear red and blood shot which is a sign of inflammation of the cornea and the surrounding tissues.
If treated adequately and correctly, welder’s flash would take about one to three days to resolve and improve the visual abilities of the individual.
Welders Flash Burn
Here are some simple Emergency management tips for Welders Flash burn,
- Lie down and rest with both your eyes closed.
- Stay away from bright light. Bright light may further amplify the problem
- One could try using anti-inflammatory drugs that are available over the counter.
- Don’t wash your eyes with water, as it may further irritate the cornea. Place a gauze pad which is soaked in warm water over the eye. The warmth will improve blood circulation in the affected region and hasten recovery
Welder Flash Home Remedies
Here are some simple remedies that can help in management of Welders Flash,
- Apply tea bags on the eyes with your eyes closed. Boil the tea bags for a few minutes and then put them in the refrigerator to cool down and then apply it on the eyes. This has a soothing effect on the eyes and helps alleviate pain.
- Local application of slice of potato on the eyes is found to be beneficial. Apply slice of potato for some time on the eye and the condition would improve within a few minutes to a few hours depending upon the severity
- Apply vapor rub on the cheeks. Though local application of vapor rub on the cheeks may result in burning it helps resolve the condition within a few minutes
- Always use an eye patch in the affected eye. A slight pressure may be beneficial and may hasten the process of healing.