Your eyes are extremely sensitive, and most eye disorders are best managed by a qualified professional. You could also end up damaging your eyes with harsh homemade eye recipes.
You can make an assortment of eye washes at home. The following substances are very safe and can be used to make effective, natural and gentle eye washes.
Solution for Healthy Eyes
Eye washes help cleanse and refresh tired eyes. They also lubricate dry eyes.
- Spearmint: boil about 10 leaves of spearmint in a bowl of water. Cool the solution and use as a wash for your eyes. Mint relieves pain and burning instantaneously. It also stimulates the production of tears and refreshes the eyes.
- Eyebright: add 1 spoon of dried eyebright to a bowl of boiling water. Once the solution has cooled, strain, and use as an eyewash.
- Chamomile: chamomile infusion is amazing for burning, itching and inflammations.
Homemade Eye Wash Solution
Homemade eye wash solution promises to allay tiredness and pain associated with eye strain and eye infections. The wash relieves itching and redness. Eye washes leave your eyes feeling refreshed and also make them appear brighter.
However, do be very careful when making an eye wash, since, any contamination can result in serious eye diseases / infections. Ensure that you use only distilled water, whilst making your eye wash. Boil the ingredients well and let it cool for about 20 minutes.
The most basic eye solution is a mixture of water and salt. Boil 1 cup of water and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Cool the solution and use several times during the day. It will make the eyes bright and also fights eye fatigue.
Another simple eye wash recipe uses green tea. Blend together 2 spoons of green tea in 1 cup of water. Boil well, and then cool. Green tea cools the eyes and relieves itchiness and burning. You can also place tea bags over the eyes. It gets rid of swelling and puffiness as well.
Honey is another remarkable remedy for eyes. Blend 1 teaspoon of honey in a cup of water. And wash your eyes. It may sting a little bit, but it eliminates all eye fatigue immediately.
Eye Wash Solution Recipe
You will need the following ingredients, to make 3 different eye washes:
- 1and a ½ cups distilled water
- A few fresh rose petals
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1 and a ½ cups distilled water
- 10 spearmint leaves
- 1 and ½ cups distilled water
- 1 tsp. eyebright
Wash all the other ingredients. Boil water, pour over the ingredients and cool for 20 minutes.
Strain the decoction and use. Home made eye washes ought to be used within 24 hours to ward off bacterial growth. You can store in a glass bottle and refrigerate.