Sore and watery eyes are a common complaint associated with excessive eye strain and prolonged hours in front of the computer screen. While there are several simple home remedies that can treat some of the symptoms associated with sore watery eyes, the treatment often depends upon the cause of the condition.
Watery eyes are a condition which is associated with draining of excessive tears from the eyes. Under normal conditions, the eyes water and the tears are meant to keep the eyes moist and wash away foreign particles and objects. However, there are several causative factors that are associated with excessive soreness and watering of the eyes.
What Causes Sore And Watery Eyes?
Under normal conditions, the tear glands produce tears, which are drained out of the eyes through a small opening towards to corner of the eye, referred to as the tear duct. While normal amount of tears drain through the tear ducts, blockage of the duct, or excessive production of tears can result in watery eyes.
- Allergic reaction to pollen or danger can result in inflammatory reaction which in turn can result in burning and itching along with watering of the eyes.
- The tear duct usually drains into the nose and hence nasal blockage can result in watery eyes.
- Inflammation of the eyelids or conjunctivitis can also result in soreness and watering of the eyes.
- Prolonged exposure to bright light or sitting in front of the computer screen can also result in sore and watery eyes. Eye strain due to working in dim light can also cause soreness and watery eyes.
- Inward growing eye lashes can also result in sore and watery eyes.
Other causes of soreness and watery eyes including excessive vomiting, laughing or yawning. All these factors can result in increased pressure in the cranial area which in turn can contribute towards soreness and watering of the eyes.
Sore Watery Eyes Symptoms
Soreness of the eyes is often associated with a host of symptoms which include the following,
- Burning and itching in the eye which is often associated with excessive watering of the eyes.
- Soreness of the eyes is often associated with eye pain, which is aggravated on blinking.
- Soreness of eyes can also occasionally be associated with dim vision or foggy vision.
Home Remedies For Sore Watery Eyes
There are a host of simple home remedies that can be beneficial in the management of soreness of eyes and watering of the eyes. Some of the simple home remedies include the following,
- Eye wash with plain cold water is considered to be beneficial. An eye wash helps remove foreign object which might be causing the irritation, while the cold water has a soothing effect on the eye and reduces inflammation.
- Echinacea eye drops are considered to be beneficial for sore and painful eyes. They help reducing watering of the eyes.
- Blink frequently. Failing to blink frequently can strain the eyes, which in turn can result in burning sensation. Blinking frequently can also alleviate the pain and irritation of the eyes.
- Homeopathic medicines like Apis Mel and Ignatia are considered to be beneficial in management of burning and itching pain in the eyes.
While these simple home remedies may be beneficial in management of the soreness of the eyes, the treatment would vary and often depend upon the underlying cause of the soreness.