Hair is placed in small pockets in the scalp referred to as follicles. Hair comprises of keratin, which is a type of protein comprising of amino acids. These amino acids are essential for hair growth and health. Studies indicate that hair grow at an average rate of 1.2 cm per month, faster in women compared to men.
Causes Of Baldness In Men
Though genetic predisposition plays a major role in causing baldness in men, there are other factors that also contribute significantly to hair loss. Some of these factors include,
- Dietary deficiencies and inadequate nutrition plays a major role. Vitamin B6 deficiency is associated with hair loss and liberal intake of the vitamin can promote hair growth. Anemia has also been associated with hair loss.
- Mental stress is another factor that plays a crucial role. Anxiety, apprehension, worry and psychological stress can impact the production of hormones in the body, which in turn can impact hair loss and cause baldness
- Unhealthy scalp condition can result in weakening of the roots of the hair and allow dirt to collect in the scalp which in turn can be detrimental to hair growth
Prevention Of Hair Loss In Men
There are several simple lifestyle modifications that can prevent baldness in men.
- Massaging or rubbing the scalp with your fingers, especially after a bath is considered beneficial. Massaging stimulates blood circulation into the scalp which in turn enhances the supply of nutrients to the hair follicles. Forceful massaging should be avoided as it can result in hair damage
- Wash your hair regularly. Washing your hair is beneficial since it helps remove the accumulated dirt and dust in the scalp. Further, it also prevents the growth of bacteria on the scalp, often growing alongside perspiration
- Wash your scalp with cold water. Avoid using hot water. Hot water can damage the hair
- Massaging the scalp with coconut oil is also beneficial. However, wash your scalp within a hour after applying coconut oil to avoid accumulation of dirt and perspiration
Home Remedies For Baldness
There are several home remedies that can be beneficial in prevention of baldness,
- A mixture of fresh Indian gooseberry juice with lemon is considered beneficial for the scalp and hair growth. It helps in cleansing the scalp and also promotes hair growth
- Regular consumption of lettuce and spinach juice is considered highly beneficial. Spinach and lettuce are packed with vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants
- Alfalfa juice can promote the growth of hair and avoid hair damage or hair loss.
- Prepare a paste of black pepper and lime juice. Local application of this paste is very beneficial in patchy baldness or hairlessness. On application, this paste results in irritation which in turn stimulates blood circulation and also activates the dead follicles in the affected area.