Gooseberry Oil for Hair
Amla or Indian gooseberry oil is being used by women until now because of it is proven to make hair healthy, strong and lustrous. Here are some benefits of using gooseberry oil for the hair:
- Promotes hair growth. Amla or Indian gooseberry oil is a common ingredient in commercially available hair grower products.
- Prevents graying of hair. Gooseberry oil helps keep the color of the hair dark, and prevent premature graying.
- Promotes healthy scalp. When gooseberry oil is massaged into the scalp, it helps lock in moisture and prevents dry scalp that can lead to dandruff. Gooseberry oil also contains vitamin C which has anti inflammatory properties.
- Conditioning properties. Regular use of gooseberry oil can make one’s hair shiny, smooth and soft. However, if one has naturally oily scalp, then use of gooseberry oil should be limited to once or twice a week only.
- Strengthens hair roots and prevents breakage.
How to Use Indian Gooseberry for Hair
Amla or gooseberry is common ingredient in commercially available hair products or in powder form in ethnic stores. However, there are still some who prefer to use gooseberry in a natural way. So here are some ways to use gooseberry for the hair:
- Hair mask. Follow the steps:
- Mix gooseberry powder with yogurt and olive oil.
- Make a paste out of this mixture, apply to hair and massage into scalp.
- Cover with a shower cap, after two hours.
- Eat gooseberry as is. Eating the fruit can help nourish the skin and hair internally because of its high vitamin C and protein content. It also prevents hair loss and premature graying.
- Can be used as rinse to maintain dark-colored hair. Just soak dried gooseberry fruit overnight in water and use this dark-colored water to rinse hair.
- Hair conditioner. This is usually prepared by using a half kilogram of gooseberry fruit and a kilo of coconut oil boiled together and stored. Use this just like other commercially available conditioners after shampoo. Just make sure to rinse hair well after.
- Anti-oily hair remedy. Do the following:
- Dilute half cup of lime juice in a half cup of gooseberry juice.
- Apply to hair and massage to scalp.
- Rinse well.