When hair loses moisture and luster, it becomes prone to damage. Brittle hair at the ends is a common hair problem and there are ways to prevent further damage.
Home Remedies for Split Ends
All these home remedies can help bring back the glossy shine and the full-bodied appearance of the hair.
- Check the hair for possible split ends regularly.
- Massage a dollop of mayonnaise on the scalp with gentle strokes. Leave the substance for 10 minutes then rinse off.
- Beer is often used as substitute for the shampoo.
- Avoid washing the hair frequently. It is more advisable to use shampoo every other day. Remember to use conditioner after the shampoo.
- The conditioner can bring back the hair’s healthy state through regular use.
- Minimize exposure to heat-generating appliances such hair dryer, curling iron, blow-dryer and flat iron.
How to Prevent Split Ends
- Trim off the ends with breakage. Do this every six weeks.
- Brushing hair when wet, is still done by many females. Wet hair is at its weakest state when wet.
- Protect oneself when heading outdoors. Sunscreen protection must be applied to the skin and hair. Wear a hat or avoid sun exposure especially from 10-2 pm.
- Use soft satin pillowcases when sleeping so that there will be less friction.
- Do not put the hair up in a bun or pony tail while it is still wet.
- Follow a deep conditioning regimen once a week for an intensive treatment. Make an all-natural hair mask from olive oil and vegetable oil warmed from the microwave. Wrap a towel around the head for 10 minutes before rinsing off.
- In between dye jobs, let the hair breathe for a few months before undergoing another hair-coloring process.
- Protect the hair from the harsh effects of the sun while in the beach by conditioning it before heading outdoor.
What Causes Split Ends?
- Split ends occur to indicate damage to the hair. Common causes of damage include over-brushing, chemical processing and heat styling.
- Chlorine from the swimming pool can also dry out hair’s natural moisture.
- Salt water from the beach
- Too much frequent coloring or perming
- Overexposure to the sun
- Hair accessories that are too tight
- Brushing hair while wet