Receding hairline is a condition which is more frequently observed in males and is often the first sign of hair loss and baldness. As per experts, almost all males will suffer from permanent hair shed from the frontal hairline portion, in varying intensities, depending upon their genetic constitution and heredity.
Progressively receding hairline can result in baldness and can be distressing.
The male hormone DHT or dihydro-testosterone plays a crucial role in inhibiting the growth of hair and progressively causes shrinking of the hair follicles. In general, this progressive shrinking of hair follicles follows a specific pattern, which begins along the frontal and gradually progresses. Hence receding hairline is a common phenomenon in males, especially after puberty.
In most cases, receding hairline can be attributed to genetics and heredity; however there can be other contributing factors including nutritional deficiencies- namely vitamins, poor scalp hygiene, excessive use of chemical and synthetic products, etc.
Signs Of Receding Hairline
A receding hairline is usually apparent within a few weeks, due to sudden loss of hair around the frontal region.
- Thinning and weakening of hair is one of the first symptoms associated with the condition. The hair suddenly become thin and loses their luster. They become easily breakable.
- Hair loss tends to follow. Significant hair loss is observed during combing of hair.
Sudden need to change the hair style may become apparent as the hairline recedes.
How To Regrow Receding Hairline?
While some extent of receding hairline is fairly common in males and is usually influenced by the age and genetic makeup, there are certain natural treatment therapies that can help regain receding hairline.
- Maintain utmost scalp hygiene. Wash your hair at least once a week and avoid the use of chemicals or synthetic shampoos. After a hair wash, allow your hair to dry and then apply coconut oil or almond oil to the scalp. Massage the scalp, as massaging can help improve blood circulation to the scalp and trigger hair growth. Don’t apply hair oil when the hair is wet, as it may increase chances of dirt and bacterial growth.
- Ensure adequate intake of vitamin and protein supplements. Alternatively increase the intake of fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, dairy products, fish and lean meat. These products are rich in protein and provide the essential vitamins and minerals for healthy hair growth. Omega-3-fatty acid supplements are vital in the management of hair loss in males.
- Rub a slice of onion on the scalp, especially along the frontal region. Onion can help stimulate the hair follicles and trigger them to grow. Similarly local application of lemon juice is also considered very useful.
- Drink capsicum juice twice a day for about three to four weeks to slow the progression of hair loss.
- Homeopathic drug Wisbidin is considered useful in improving hair growth and preventing receding hairline.
- Stress is an important factor that can trigger hormonal imbalances in the body and result in significant hair loss. Use of meditation techniques including yoga and deep breathing can help alleviate significant amount of stress and also improve mental and physical well being. This in turn will prevent hair loss.