Coconut water is a very refreshing drink and has a sweet, nutty taste. It contains carbohydrates in the form of sugar and electrolytes, which can be digested easily. Coconut water is a clear liquid in the center of the fruit and is found in young, green coconuts; different from high fat coconut milk or oil.
When choosing a fresh coconut, be sure to steer clear of those which have a hard brown shell since they aren’t tender but mature. Select those which have a young and green shell, given that, they contain a lot of water.
Health Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water Daily
- Peps up energy: Coconut water is a wonderful thirst quencher. It keeps your body well hydrated, more so, in case of dehydration and fluid loss due to vomiting, diarrhea or profuse sweating. It is an excellent source of carbohydrates, boosts energy level appreciably.
- An excellent sports drink: Coconut water is wonderful to re-hydrate the body after exercise. Research says that coconut water exerts a similar positive effect as sports drinks do.
- GI upset: Coconut water is known to soothe tummy troubles like indigestion, acid reflux and gastroenteritis.
- Keeps the heart healthy: Coconut water helps keep cholesterol levels in check and also prevent hypertension. The potassium, in the coconut water lowers the blood pressure by counteracting the harmful effects of sodium. Coconut water has potent cardio-protective benefits. It decreases LDL cholesterol and increases HDL cholesterol levels, thereby diminishing your risk of heart disease. Coconut water also has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-platelet properties which perk up blood circulation and prevent plaque formation in the arteries
- Treatment for hangover: Coconut water is a great remedy to battle hangovers. Alcohol dehydrates you; coconut water helps re-hydrate and also replenishes the lost electrolytes, thereby making you feel better. It fights oxidative stress that has been caused by consuming too much of alcohol.
- Promotes weight loss: Coconut water is excellent for weight loss. It is low in calories and easy to digest. It contains bio-active enzymes which boost fat metabolism. What’s more, coconut water is loaded with potassium, and this balances out the sodium. Too much sodium in the body causes water retention and bloating contributing to water weight. Consequently, coconut water flushes out surplus water along with toxins from your body and facilitates weight loss.
- Fights migraine: Research shows that those who are prone to migraine often have low levels of magnesium. Studies also show that magnesium helps decrease the frequency and intensity of migraine attacks. Coconut water proffers you with a lot of magnesium; thus, if you are vulnerable to migraine headaches be sure to consume coconut water regularly.
- Makes hair and skin radiant: coconut water with all it wonderful nutrients and anti-oxidants is a powerful tonic for hair and skin. It promises you long, lustrous beautiful hair and a clear, blemish free radiant skin. Have coconut water daily for a couple of months, as well as apply the water to your face and scalp; you will see brilliant results.