Benefits of Eating Celery Sticks
Celery has been a constant favorite in cooking as its flavor and texture have proven wonders in a multitude of recipes. But despite this entire kitchen magic, celery has also been known for its attributes that promote health and well-being. Many may not be aware, but celery is loaded with lots of vitamins, minerals, and disease fighting chattels—the benefits of eating celery sticks are endless.
The Health Benefits of Eating Celery Sticks
- It prevents cancer: Antioxidants polyacetylenes and pthalides were found in celery. These antioxidants function by detoxifying the carcinogens that may have been ingested by the body.
- It strengthens the immune system: Celery contains coumarin, a chemical causing its distinct aroma, which also helps in enhancing the function of white blood cells. These WBC are the primary cells that counteract against infection.
- A good diuretic: High levels of sodium and potassium were found in celery, and these electrolytes have always been associated to diuretic properties. It promotes diuresis without compromising the intracellular and extracellular homeostasis of the body.
- A relief for arthritis: Celery has anti-inflammatory properties that aid in the alleviation of pain, discomfort, and swelling for those people suffering from arthritis.
- Aids in renal functions: Celery facilitates elimination of uric acid in the renal system. It has been recommended to those who have kidney disorders, bladder problems, and even urinary tract infection.
Also see on Radish Vegetable Juice
Nutritional Value of Celery Sticks
- Vitamin C: This is very abundant in celery, which helps strengthen the immune system and aid in tissue repair.
- Vitamin K: An essential in blood clotting.
- Potassium: A potent electrolyte for muscle growth and stability of cardiac muscles.