Eggs have acquired a rather bad reputation, thanks to the high amount of fat and cholesterol that they are known to contain. However, instead of avoiding them totally, you can make them healthier, if you exclude the yolk. The egg white offers numerous health benefits without the calories and can be included in to your diet occasionally.
What’s more, very few foods provide you with such a diverse nutrient make-up as an egg. Most of the nutrients that the egg proffers are necessary for the health of the nerves and the brain. Eggs yolks fell out of favor; and people started opting for egg whites instead.
Every egg is not created equal; thus buy eggs from an environment that is as natural as possible, this means that the hen fed on foods that its body could tolerate, and in a condition that were not overly stressful. The environment for egg producing chickens is called ‘cage-free’ meaning the hen can roam, and pick what it wants to eat. Clinical studies state that ‘cage-free’ hens produce eggs that are higher in nutrients.
Benefits And Nutritional Value Of Egg Yolks
The egg yolk is the yellow substance at the center of the egg. People tend to steer clear of egg yolks; but what they fail to realize is that the yolk offers a whole host of health benefits. In case you have normal levels of cholesterol, and are not prone to any cardiac ailment, you could occasionally indulge in egg yolks instead of only eating egg whites.
Here are a few health benefits that egg yolks offer. The egg yolk contains a lot of essential nutrients that are more potent than most supplements. The yolk is packed with iodine, iron, vitamin B2, vitamin B5, vitamin B12, and vitamin D. Eggs are one of the only foods which provide you with naturally occurring vitamin D.
The egg yolk contains a lot of essential fatty acids and DHA, which are very vital during the child’s growth phase.
- The cholesterol and choline found in the egg yolk help keep your eyes healthy. These nutrients present in the egg yolk prevent the occurrence of macular degeneration and cataract.
- Eggs are very good for inflammatory conditions, such as, arthritis and endometriosis. Choline offers anti inflammatory properties; thus, it helps reduce inflammation, swelling and pain considerably. Eggs encourage the growth of healthy hair as well as nails since they are loaded with sulphur and vitamin B12.
Health Benefits Of Eating Egg Whites
- Egg whites are free of fats and are almost devoid of carbohydrates that make them good for people who are at a risk of heart problems.
- Egg whites are rich in protein. Studies state that more than half of 1 egg’s 6 grams of protein comes from the egg white. One egg white provides you with 4 grams of protein. In fact, you will get no fat, unless you fry the egg in butter / oil.
- Because egg whites are low in calories, they are very good for those trying to lose weight. One egg white provides you with 16 calories only.
- A single egg white gives 6.6 mcg of selenium, 1.3 mcg of folate, 2.3 mg of calcium, 4.9 mg of phosphorus and 3.6 mg of magnesium.